Managing Director, Alumni and Network Strategy - The Broad Center
General Management / Strategic Planning
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Established in 2001, The Broad Center for the Management of School Systems (TBC) identifies talented leaders from education, business, the military, nonprofit organizations, and government who have the passion, knowledge, and skill to take on senior leadership roles in urban education. The mission of The Broad Center for the Management of School Systems is to raise student achievement by recruiting, training, and supporting senior leadership talent from across America to become the next generation of urban school district leaders.
Through two primary initiatives, The Broad Superintendents Academy and The Broad Residency in Urban Education, a growing network of school system leaders and managers are working to strengthen public schools by creating environments that enable good teachers to do great work and students of all backgrounds to learn and thrive. These professionals are passionate about public education, have educational expertise and experience ensuring organizations run successfully.
Each year, an increasing number of Broad graduates join a movement of leaders dedicated to creating and transforming local, state, and national education systems to make this vision a reality. To date, TBC network includes over 400 leaders who share a focus on improving student achievement and closing gaps, and a willingness to challenge and disrupt the status quo.
The Broad Center is funded by The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation. Founded by self-made entrepreneur Eli Broad and his wife Edythe, graduates of Detroit Public Schools, The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is a philanthropy that seeks to ensure that every student in an urban public school has the opportunity to succeed. More information on TBC and its flagship programs can be found at www.broadcenter.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is an ideal opportunity for a strategic, entrepreneurial leader to support and develop a growing network of reform leaders across the country. This role requires exceptional leadership, management, and critical thinking. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Managing Director, Alumni and Network Strategy leads a high-performing team to strengthen and leverage the power of this network.
- Lead the delivery of support and services to alumni of The Broad Residency and The Broad Superintendents Academy working with director-level, cabinet-level, and CEO-level roles in urban school districts, charter management organizations, state departments of education, and other K-12 educational organizations to accelerate and increase their impact
- Design and implement a strategy delivering best-in-class professional development, career planning, and job search opportunities to network members
- Create and maintain strong relationships with network members (Broad Academy and Residency Alumni) to assess needs and strengthen the network
- Oversee the development and maintenance of effective knowledge networking systems to connect reform leaders and share best practices
- Caucus and support alumni and other education leaders in advancing reform strategies designed to close the achievement gap and transform education
- Implement systems and structures to enable the advancement of reforms across the network
- Manage and support a high-performing department of five staff members in achieving their departmental goals
- Collaborate across departments to define strategic priorities and goals for the Network Services team
- Conduct regular program evaluations to measure program effectiveness and identify opportunities for improvement
- Serve as a member of The Broad Center’s senior management team by providing guidance and direction for the organization’s growth and development
- Represent the Network Services program to The Broad Center’s Board of Directors, including preparation of budgets, written materials, and presentations
- Represent The Broad Center and the Network Services program externally to potential candidates, faculty and presenters, media, partner organizations, and others in the K-12 education sector
- Serve as representative to the Activate ED collaborative (Gates Foundation-funded partnership with Education Pioneers and Harvard’s Strategic Data Project)
- Additional duties as necessary to ensure organizational success
- Ten or more years of professional work experience in an education-related context; professional experience should include team and project leadership, strategic planning, and/or business development
- Deep content knowledge of the levers for improvement of K-12 urban education systems required; experience leading or participating in a professional leadership development program strongly preferred
- Exceptional professional judgment with a track record of successfully leading complex multi-stakeholder projects and teams
- Demonstrated success managing high-performing teams to achieve ambitious results; experience managing managers strongly preferred
- Experience working with the central office functions of a large urban school district, charter management organization, or state department of education preferred
- Strong critical thinking skills, with the flexibility to respond to changing situations, shifting priorities, and new opportunities
- A passion and demonstrated commitment to transforming K-12 public education
- Experience driving a strategic planning process and managing complex budgets of at least $1M
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a wide array of stakeholders and engage diverse audiences
- The ability to commit to 30% travel
- Advanced degree (e.g. MBA, MPP or JD) strongly preferred
Employment is contingent upon a thorough background and reference check. You must be legally entitled to work in the United States.
The Broad Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Broad Center offers a comprehensive benefits package.
» Please consider me for this position.