Founding Executive Director at Educators 4 Excellence: Connecticut
Fundraising / Business Development
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
For far too long, education policy has been created without a critical voice at the table: the voice of classroom teachers. Founded in spring 2010 by two Bronx elementary school teachers, Educators 4 Excellence (E4E) is changing this dynamic by placing the voices of teachers at the forefront of the conversations that shape our classrooms and careers. E4E envisions a high-quality, prestigious teaching profession that is responsible for driving positive student outcomes. E4E provides teachers opportunities to:
- Learn about the latest education policy news and research;
- Network with like-minded colleagues and policymakers through panel discussions, speaker series, and networking events; and
- Take Action by advocating for teacher-created policy recommendations through E4E’s teacher leadership training programs.
In just a few years, E4E has quickly grown into a national network of over 5,000 progressive teachers, united by the E4E Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs. The work of E4E and E4E teachers has resulted in modifications to legislation on issues such as layoffs and teacher evaluation, the publication of nationally significant teacher-created policy papers, and national and local media attention highlighting progressive teacher voices.
With chapters currently operating in both Los Angeles and New York, Educators 4 Excellence is entering an expansion phase as it seeks to provide a platform for teachers across the country to elevate their voices. Grounded in the experience of educators, E4E’s organizational culture revolves around an innovative, entrepreneurial, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous improvement.
For more information, please visit Educators4Excellence.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting directly to the Co-Founders/Co-Chief Executive Officers and serving as a member of E4E’s senior leadership team, the Founding Executive Director, Connecticut will help launch Educators 4 Excellence-Connecticut (E4E-CT). The Founding Executive Director will have strategic and operational responsibility for E4E-CT staff, programs, growth, and execution of its mission to elevate the voices of teachers in Connecticut state and local education policy. He or she will implement a comprehensive strategic plan, recruit E4E-CT team members, build a membership base, and launch E4E’s full host of programming.
This is an ideal opportunity for an innovative and entrepreneurial leader to play a critical role in the growth of a dynamic organization that places student achievement first and seeks to restore professionalism to education. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Planning, Growth, and Leadership
- Design and execute a strategic plan for the launch of E4E-CT, with the guidance and support of the national leadership team.
- Design and implement systems for evaluating progress toward strategic goals, ensuring that local objectives are met while also aligning efforts with the national organization.
- Identify, recruit, and retain a team of results-oriented, entrepreneurial, creative thinkers to execute outreach, engagement, and policy plans, and assume responsibility for their professional growth and development.
Policy and Outreach Programming
- Define the chapter’s local policy priorities and oversee their execution, including leading E4E-CT Teacher Policy Teams to create policy recommendations and leading teacher-driven advocacy campaigns to encourage implementation of these recommendations at the local and state level.
- Design and implement creative programming for local teachers, including panel discussions, Q&A events with local policymakers, networking events, and E4E’s School Captain Program.
- Ensure that the local chapter engages a diverse and growing number of educators in the organization’s activities.
Fundraising and Communications
- Develop and expand local fundraising activities, with a strong focus on cultivating new – and leveraging existing – relationships with local foundations and individual donors.
- Administer E4E-CT’s budget, ensuring fiscal responsibility and stability.
- Communicate E4E-CT’s goals and priorities through speeches, op-eds, education events and conferences, media outreach, and communications with teachers and the general public.
- Secure opportunities for teachers to share their voice directly in local media, with assistance from the National Vice President, Communications.
- Build and maintain relationships with local policymakers, key stakeholders, interest groups, and elected officials.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least four years of professional experience in education, education policy, community/campaign organizing, and/or advocacy
- Experience in strategically planning for and evaluating the growth of an outcomes-based organization
- Proven leadership and organizational management experience, including having coached staff, managed and developed high-performance teams, set and achieved strategic objectives, and managed a budget
- Experience in preparing and delivering public presentations and superb interpersonal skills with specific examples from a variety of settings
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders, including a board of advisors
- Track record of overcoming obstacles in challenging environments
- Willingness to travel occasionally and/or participate in calls with E4E’s national office (New York, NY)
Moreover, all E4E candidates will have a/an:
- Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession; previous classroom experience required
- Deep commitment to the values of E4E and passion for students, improving education, and closing the achievement gap
- Understanding of education policy and the education reform movement, both locally and nationally
- Solid written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated record as both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills; a demonstrated ability to design a work plan, prioritize and meet goals; grace under pressure and a good sense of humor; and an innovative spirit
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including weekday evenings and some weekends
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Educators 4 Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
» Please consider me for this position.