About the Organization
Since its founding in 2004, the GreenLight Fund has worked at the intersection of social innovation and community need. GreenLight is focused on identifying the most urgent barriers to economic mobility for low-income residents in its sites and addressing them by selecting and bringing in the country's best social innovations that have proven impact. GreenLight does this by running a process in its communities that bring together key local leaders to:
- Identify critical needs
- Find and bring into the community innovative and entrepreneurial social programs that can have a significant, measurable impact addressing those needs, and
- Galvanize local support to help programs reach and sustain impact in the new city.
GreenLight runs this selection and importation process in its eight sites: Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco Bay Area, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Detroit, Charlotte and Kansas City. Collectively, portfolio organizations across the sites are reaching more than 75,000 individuals annually with proven, life-changing programs. This number is growing exponentially as GreenLight adds new sites and new portfolio organizations across its sites.
Each GreenLight Fund site is supported by a coalition of 30-40 investors providing multi-year support to underwrite five years of operations and 3-4 portfolio organizations. The local site Executive Directors are hired once a Fund is raised, and are responsible for leading a strategy to engage local investors with GreenLight's mission. Additionally, GreenLight Fund raises philanthropic support to underwrite its operations nationally through a similar investor coalition approach.
To learn more about the GreenLight Fund, please visit www.greenlightfund.org.
About the Position
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer and working closely with the Board Chair and Co-Founder, the National Director of Strategic Development (NDSD) will help lead GreenLight's national strategy to fund national operations, ensure sites have the support they need to meet their revenue goals, and fuel the organization's growth to new markets. They will lead all internal strategy and operations in support of the organization reaching its national revenue targets and to ensure necessary national support of sites reaching their revenue targets. They will serve as a thought partner and mentor to GreenLight's site teams and national leadership to ensure success in raising funds for their sites.
In partnership with the Board Chair, CEO, site Executive Directors, and Leadership Team, the NDSD will design and build as needed the strategy, systems, and processes to ensure that fund raising is carried out in keeping with the organization's vision, mission, values, and plans. In addition, the NDSD will oversee GreenLight's communications strategy to not only support fund-raising goals but also to ensure a strong brand and positioning program to support GreenLight's vision and mission. As a senior member of the team, they will serve on the Management Team, work closely with GreenLight's Board Chair and Board of Directors, and play a critical role in shaping organizational strategy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
National, Sites, and New Site Development Strategy and Infrastructure
- Support the implementation of a funding strategy and plan to cover GreenLight's $8M+ annual budget, including national and site operations and grants to portfolio organizations. GreenLight raises multi-year Funds at the site level of approximately $4.5M to operate and invest in portfolio organizations over a five-year period.
- Assess, maintain, improve, and where necessary, build GreenLight's national development infrastructure including systems, processes, and professional development to support GreenLight's local and national fund raising.
- Partner with the Co-Founder/Board Chair and CEO to design and support the strategy to raise funds for new sites, helping GreenLight scale from eight to ten sites in the next couple of years and beyond.
- Partner with, coach, and mentor site Executive Directors to ensure they have the tools and skills needed to manage the donor cycle, host annual events and secure ample funds for their sites.
- Strengthen communication and coordination among the sites and with the national development team, including the Board Chair and CEO.
- In partnership with the Board Chair, and site Executive Directors, generate and oversee a strategy to diversify the organization's revenue streams and solicitation programs to ensure GreenLight attracts and retains a diverse and engaged pool of individual, corporate, and institutional investors.
- Cultivate a learning community grounded in philanthropic best practices for all GreenLight Fund sites. This includes oversight of regular development meetings, sections of its national meetings, and other 1:1 check-ins as appropriate and necessary.
- Partner with Leadership Team and Board Chair to design mutually beneficial national partnership programs for companies and foundations.
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship Support
- Develop a comprehensive investor relations strategy for GreenLight Fund's national investors.
- Support the Board Chair and CEO on all national and new site development fund-raising activities, serving as a thought partner on all components of the strategy and operations .
- Develop and oversee targeted donor cultivation events.
- In partnership with the development and communications team, ensure accurate and timely outreach to donors on the impact of their giving through acknowledgment letters, regular communications, and programmatic updates.
- Produce and oversee production of grant proposals, grant reports, and other development presentations and materials to ensure the highest quality and best representation of GreenLight's work.
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition opportunities through events, publications, and related publicity vehicles.
Communications and Marketing
- In partnership with the Marketing and Communications Manager, support GreenLight's brand and communications strategy with key stakeholders, including donors
- Oversee the Communications Manager in developing communications and branding tools and templates
- In partnership with the development and communications team, oversee new site announcement events
- Directly manage a 2-person national development team, and support and develop the fundraising capacity of the seven, and growing, site Executive Directors.
- Manage the Marketing and Communications Manager, responsible for GreenLight Fund's brand and communications strategy.
- Develop a highly collaborative and team-focused mindset among the national development and communications team.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and professional development to direct reports and key leaders within the organization.
- 10+ years of professional experience, with demonstrated success leading the development function within a high-performing organization.
- Experience cultivating and closing six-figure gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations and ability to advise on strategy and best practices.
- Deep understanding and ability to articulate the challenges and opportunities of philanthropy and how to build investor relations programs grounded in equity, inclusion, and respect.
- A talented strategist that has experience developing and implementing strategies and related plans, tools and processes in fund development and, preferably, communications.
- A keen intellect, with the ability to be an independent thinker and creative problem solver
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to author grants and other external documents in partnership with the development and communications team.
- Ability to manage up and sideways to an impressive and accomplished group of site Executive Directors .
- Experience with development operations and infrastructure systems, preferably Salesforce, Wealth Engine and Mailchimp.
GreenLight Fund is committed to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion at every level of the organization and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds. GreenLight recognizes and appreciates the value of building a diverse workforce and creating an inclusive work environment. GreenLight takes pride in being an equal opportunity employer regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.