On Our Minds
Brownies have a special place in On-Ramps’ culture. Among other things, we support Greyston Bakery, a bakery that makes brownies to help people facing barriers to employment. We also enjoy giving brownies to our clients, partners, and friends during the holiday season.
This year, along with so many other parts of life, the pandemic has challenged us to reimagine this tradition. So, we’re sharing our On-Ramps holiday brownie recipe to bake at home. We hope it makes this season a bit sweeter for you and your families and friends.
The On-Ramps Team
On-Ramps fudgy brownies
Makes 25 small brownies.
What you’ll need
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (100% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) salted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional, but recommended)
How to bake
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF.
2. Grease (or spray) a 9-inch square pan.
3. Melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler on the stove. Remove from heat.
4. While chocolate mixture is cooling a little, in a medium mixing bowl add sugar to eggs a 1/2 cup at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
5. Blend chocolate mixture into the sugar-egg mixture.
6. Stir in flour, and then add vanilla and nuts.
7. (Optional) Sprinkle top with high-quality salt (like Maldon).
8. Spread into the greased pan and bake about 40 minutes.
9. Cool in pan. When completely cool, cut into 2.75-inch squares.
10. (Optional) If you didn’t sprinkle the top with salt (step 7), consider dusting it with powdered sugar now.
11. Serve and enjoy.