About the Organization
Founded in 2007, the Blackstone Charitable Foundation is committed to supporting entrepreneurship globally. By leveraging the resources and intellectual capital of Blackstone, the Foundation catalyzes economic development by designing programs to supercharge entrepreneurs, and supporting the communities in which we live and work. The Foundation operates three core entrepreneurship programs in 30 regions globally: the Blackstone LaunchPad, the Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network, and the Blackstone Inclusive Entrepreneurship Challenge. Through strategic partnerships, the Foundation will continue to expand their innovative entrepreneurship programming and potential for impact. In addition, the Foundation is responsible for Blackstone's flagship employee engagement initiative, Blackstone Connects. Through this program, the Foundation has engaged approximately 70% of Blackstone employees in these programs and generated over 40,000 hours of volunteer service for its grantees. More on the Blackstone Charitable Foundation and its work can be found here.
Blackstone Charitable Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Blackstone, one of the world's leading investment firms. Blackstone seeks to create positive economic impact and long-term value for its investors, the companies it invests in, and the communities in which it works. It does this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Blackstone's asset management businesses, with over $385 billion in assets under management, include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis. Further information is available at www.blackstone.com.
About the Position
Blackstone Charitable Foundation is seeking an experienced Senior Vice President (SVP) to lead the programmatic work of the foundation. Working closely with the Executive Director of the Foundation, the SVP will support the development and execution of Blackstone's core entrepreneurship programs and help develop new grant-making strategies. Focused on continuous improvement, the SVP will also set concrete goals for the programs and processes for measuring impact. In addition, the SVP will serve as a key Foundation spokesperson. The SVP will report to the Foundation's Executive Director and will manage a team of four.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Partner with the Executive Director to lead the Foundation team on areas related to program development, program management, employee engagement, operations and communications
- Serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director, Board of Directors and Blackstone Senior Leadership of the firm on areas related to the Foundation's programs, philanthropy and CSR
- Enhance and strengthen existing Foundation programs; identify new opportunities for impact and then build programs to address them, as appropriate; execute high impact programs and metrics to track success
- Develop innovative ways to leverage the Foundation to support the firm – including programmatic opportunities, communications efforts, and expanding global presence
- Serve as team manager, including strategic planning, weekly meetings and goal setting
- Work closely with team members to support their professional development and growth
- Provide ongoing guidance and advice to members of the team in support their portfolios of work
- Advise the Executive Director on work streams to improve the Foundation's outcomes and break down silos across regions and programs
- Build and maintain key internal relationships – including the Foundation's Board of Directors and Blackstone Senior Leadership
- Work with Blackstone's global offices on assessing opportunity, and, where appropriate, developing a relevant and engaging giving strategy, and employee volunteer program
- Serve as a philanthropic resource for employees, including support for the Foundation's nonprofit Board Service program where relevant
Systems and Operational Management
- Working across the team, support the annual budgeting process (~$12M) for the Foundation; work with Blackstone's finance team on budgeting, financial projections, and investments
- Work with the Foundation team on building systems for grants management, reporting, and impact measurement across program areas
- Develop systems for knowledge management and process improvement, enabling the Foundation to build on existing efforts
Communications and Content Area Expertise
- Set vision for communications strategy; work closely with communications lead and Public Affairs team to develop tangible deliverables and identify opportunities
- Research and understand trends; serve as the expert on topics and trends related to entrepreneurship, innovation, and corporate philanthropy
- Maintain and grow key external relationships – including with elected officials and their staff, nonprofit partners, content area experts, members of the press, etc.
- Represent the Foundation at both internal and external events; including conferences, volunteer days, and at relevant Blackstone events
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience building and leading a high performing team that meets and exceeds its goals
- Extensive expertise and a track record of accomplishment in one or more of the following areas: entrepreneurship, economic development, communications, marketing, philanthropy, or nonprofit management
- Demonstrated success creating systems that enable programs or initiatives to grow, while also improving outcomes
- Experience collaborating with partners across multiple contexts (e.g. public / private; high growth / established); experience working with a wide range of stakeholders across multiple contexts (e.g. public / private; high growth / established)
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to proactively and reactively seize opportunities as they arise
- Ability to persevere through challenges and pursue outcomes in dynamic circumstances
- Strong interpersonal skills; energetic, enthusiastic, collaborative, and personable
- Appetite for continuous learning, following, understanding and applying relevant industry trends
- Experience working within a complex, global organization, knowledge of and experience in the financial services industry and / or corporate philanthropy preferred
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.