About the Organization
At the Obama Foundation, we are guided by a core belief: that ordinary people working together can change history. Our mission is to inspire those people to take action, empower them to change their world for the better, and connect them so they can achieve more together than they can alone.
We were founded by community organizers, so when we seek change, we do it by bringing people together.
That approach begins at home, on the South Side of Chicago, where we are building the Obama Presidential Center. The Center represents a historic opportunity for Chicago: a chance to build a world-class museum and public gathering space that celebrates our nation's first African American President and First Lady, steps away from where he began his career, where she was raised, and where—together—they made their home.
But that approach extends to all our work, whether its holding leadership training sessions in communities throughout the U.S., bringing local leaders together in countries around the world, working to support the global education of girls, or ensuring young men of color have pathways to opportunity.
As President Obama has said, "we cannot solve the challenges of our time unless we solve them together." So join us.
For more information, please visit www.obama.org.
About the Position
As a member of the Development team, the Director of Development, Southern California & Southwest will assume the primary responsibility for the design and implementation of the Foundation's development activity in the Southwest United States. With a strong focus on Los Angeles, the Director will serve as the primary relationship manager for a portfolio of prospects and donors in the region and utilize the staff, volunteer, and material resources at their disposal to hit the annual regional fundraising goal. Reporting to (and working closely with) the Chief Development Officer, the Director will work closely with a regional advisor and lead a small team to expand and engage a robust donor base in support of the Foundation's long-term fundraising goals.
Director of Development, Southern California & Southwest will be responsible for achieving the following outcomes within the first year:
- Regional Fundraising Strategy & Management
- Ensure that the regional fundraising team achieves the goals set forth for the region
- Set and execute a strategic plan for regional fundraising efforts (e.g., priorities, strategies, and work phases/targets/timelines)
- Successfully manage execution of fundraising plan ensuring effective communication with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Principals, CDO, Board, team, OF staff)
- Cultivation & Solicitation
- Within 3 months: Review, adapt and grow current cultivation plans targeting key markets in region to meet goals
- Within 6 months: Active cultivation in key markets underway
- Within 9 months: Build on initial plan to consider volunteer structures to assist in the ongoing cultivation of a widening universe of donors
- Within 1 year: Solicitation of 1/3 of prospect list complete
The ultimate aim of the Director of Development, Southern California & Southwest is to achieve the outcomes listed above. In order to achieve those outcomes, we imagine that the Director of Development, Southern California & Southwest will spend their time in the following ways:
- Regional Leadership and Strategy
- Lead development and execution of regional strategy for a portfolio of annual, major, and principal gift prospects within the region
- In partnership with the regional advisor, build strong relationships with, and support the development activities of, board members based in the region
- Oversee a small regional team as approved by leadership; recruit and manage volunteer pool as needed to achieve goals
- Establish cooperative working relationships with other frontline fundraisers within the region and across the country, sharing best practices
- Manage and motivate a regional development committee tasked with broadening the prospect list and assisting with the cultivation of major donors, including planning and executing regular meetings
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date records of regional activity in Salesforce
- Cultivation, Solicitation, and Stewardship
- Develop customized cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each prospect and donor in the portfolio
- Build and manage productive relationships with prospects and donors through visits, correspondence, and regular communication
- Proactively design and execute new and creative donor engagement strategies
- Manage and assist senior leadership staff in major and principal gift solicitations
- Monitor progress against goals ensuring deadlines are met
- Execute events necessary to meet regional goals
- Ensure the timely and accurate creation and distribution of updates to donors and briefings to senior leadership; oversee the creation of highly personalized proposals for top prospects
- Regularly participate in the creation of necessary materials to inform the Board of Directors of ongoing regional development activity, successes, and needed resources
- Ensure scheduling, logistics, and execution of development activities and events in the region are seamless
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.