About the Organization
Code for America uses the principles and practices of the digital age to improve how government serves the American public, and how the public improves government. Since its launch in 2011, Code for America has worked with government to help the people who need it most using modern design and technology and agile, iterative, user-centered approaches. Code for America believes that government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government services can and should be as good as the best consumer services: simple, accessible, and easy to use. And when they are, we all spend less, get better outcomes, and serve everyone with dignity and respect.
Code for America is part mission-driven non-profit, part tech startup, and deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in service of their mission.
To learn more, please visit www.codeforamerica.org
About the Position
Code for America seeks a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as they look to scale and multiply the impact of their work. Reporting directly to the Executive Director/Founder, the CFO will be an integral member of the of the Executive Management Team. The CFO will oversee finance and accounting, contract management, legal, facilities, and human resources.
- Serve as a member of the Code for America Executive Management team, setting organizational strategy, mentoring staff, and providing oversight
- Provide programmatic support and guide organizational strategy by developing budgets and analyses for the organization as a whole, as well as individual programs
- Recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges as they relate to financial systems and operations; generating ideas, strategies, and solutions to drive impact
- In partnership with Executive Director, communicate effectively with Code for America's Board of Directors, ensuring all Board members clearly understand the organization's financial health and sustainability
- Design and direct company-wide organizational development including: employee retention and development, organization design, and cultural development
Strategic Financial and Accounting Management
- Conduct strategic analyses, creating financial models to evaluate potential opportunities (e.g.: program expansion, partnerships, etc.); and make recommendations based on those analyses
- Actively manage the day to day accounting and financial operations of the organization and; oversee a small team finance team
- Design, develop, implement, and communicate overall financial strategy, identifying strategic and operational issues for different audiences, including the Board of Directors
- Oversee the organization's banking activities and actively manage cash flow to ensure it meets organizational needs
- Serve as primary liaison with independent auditor, overseeing internal audits and ensuring the accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports
- Work closely with development staff to provide timely and accurate project budgets and reporting as needed by funders
- Oversee Contracts staff and manage all contractual matters, including vendors, funders, service providers and business development, ensuring compliance and driving organizational capabilities as earned income from government contracts increases
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments, implementing changes in procedures as needed to maintain compliance, while maximizing operational and financial results
- Supervise facilities and office management; work toward continuous improvement of all office support systems to better meet the needs of the organization
- Oversee strategic and operational human resources; developing policies, monitoring employee relations, ensuring compliance, managing compensation, and reviewing efficiency/effectiveness of employee benefit programs
Compensation and benefits:
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds, and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.