About the Organization
Service Year Alliance is an organization relentlessly pursuing a bold vision — making a year of service a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans as a way to tackle important challenges while transforming their own lives.
Service Year Alliance is the only national organization focused on inspiring and equipping communities, foundations, corporations, nonprofits, government agencies, and national service programs to expand service year opportunities as a way of solving local challenges. In particular, our client prioritizes connecting members with experiences and credentials needed to pursue middle wage careers through a service year.
In its first three years, Service Year Alliance has worked to create the key shifts necessary for progress towards its north star, including: building awareness and demand among young people for service year opportunities; creating an easy-to-use marketplace to match young adults with positions; creating mechanisms for knowledge sharing across the service year field and catalyzing the growth of quality service year opportunities in targeted ways; and establishing the policy and advocacy capacity to unlock more public and private funding for service years.
As Service Year Alliance enters its next chapter, the organization is focused on three goals across the next three years:
- Scale: Create the conditions that will enable at least 200,000 people to serve annually by 2023, matching the number of people who join the military each year.
- Quality: Increase the number of people who have high-quality learning experiences that prepare them for career success and help them become public-spirited leaders for life.
- Equity: Include all young people in service, regardless of background, ensuring they feel a sense of belonging during their experience and have the option to serve in their own communities.
About the Position
Service Year Alliance seeks a strategic, mission-driven leader to serve as its Chief Executive Officer. The CEO will serve as the organization's most senior external advocate and fundraiser, overseeing the organization's continued growth in its current moment and beyond.
As the organization's primary leader, the CEO will lead the next phase of the organization's strategic planning and chart its course into the future. The CEO will also oversee the organization's operations and progress toward its goals, uniting Americans across lines of difference in common cause - revitalizing cities, uplifting and educating children at risk, empowering communities struggling with poverty - while unleashing the energy and ambition of a generation of emerging adults through a service year.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will directly manage a national staff of 35.
This is an ideal opportunity for a results-oriented and mission-driven leader to make a year of paid, full-time service—a service year—a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Leadership - Grow the organization's impact, overseeing the development and implementation of a strategic plan with a focus on providing unprecedented and comprehensive support to the service year sector, encompassing recruitment and marketing, organizational growth and learning, service year corps member support, a tech-enabled marketplace to match organizations and young people, and policy and advocacy
- External Leadership - Serve as the key voice of the organization, enhancing the organization's visibility, brand recognition, and credibility; act as an advocate in the national service year movement
- Team Management and Financial Oversight - Lead, with support of the senior leadership team and staff, all operations, with ultimate accountability for the success of the organization, building and mentoring a high-performing team committed to advancing Service Year Alliance's work
- Board Stewardship - Act as primary liaison to the Board of Directors, engaging Board members in the current and future needs of the organization, and expand the Board, as appropriate
- Culture Building - Continue to build and enhance Service Year Alliance's culture, defined by purpose, trust, respect, and innovation, as well as a deep and sustained focus on impact; actively engage internal and external stakeholders in working effectively across lines of difference, ensuring that Service Year Alliance proactively creates and promotes equity and inclusiveness
- Fundraising - Drive fundraising strategies and activities that lead to organizational sustainability and growth, ensuring the engagement of Service Year Alliance's existing donor base while cultivating new supporters among government, corporate, foundation, and individual funding communities
- Business Development - Expand Service Year Alliance's fee-for-service offerings, working with partner organizations in the service movement to support the development of high quality, impactful offerings
- Policy and Advocacy - Engage with policy makers and other national leaders to drive meaningful and sustained investment in national service
- Stakeholder Engagement - Inspire others to continue to build the national service movement, moving staff, volunteers, and communities to reconnect with one another and rekindle a sense of shared responsibility and purpose
- Program Leadership - Provide vision, oversight, and direction, ensuring continuous improvement across all aspects of Service Year Alliance's work
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of fifteen years of professional work experience, including five years in a significant leadership role in a non-profit or mission-driven setting
- Outstanding organizational leadership skills, with an ability to articulate a clear and inspiring vision for Service Year Alliance while managing and mentoring staff
- Track record of creating and sustaining an organizational culture that fosters diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong ability and appetite to lead fundraising for Service Year Alliance; successful track record of non-profit fundraising required
- Excellent critical thinking skills, with a track record of developing solutions to organizational issues in the face of complexity and ambiguity
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders, and to influence leaders in the private, public, and non-profit sectors
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills with the ability to serve as a strong external voice for Service Year Alliance and its work
- Experience overseeing budgets, with the capacity to allocate resources strategically and manage spending effectively
- Integrity, with a commitment to ethically and empathically serving individuals and families working to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty
- Bachelor's degree required; relevant advanced degree strongly preferred
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Service Year Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other service year alumni are encouraged to apply, as are military veterans. Please indicate in your resume if you have served in one of these programs.