About the Organization
KIPP Delta Public Schools was founded in 2002 when they opened their doors to 65 fifth grade students in Helena, Arkansas. The ultimate goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in life – and in so doing, prove what is possible in public education. They promised to do whatever was necessary to help their students succeed. KIPP Delta is still making – and keeping – the same promise today. They now lead five schools across the Arkansas Delta serving over 1,300 students and 250 alumni. Since opening, their schools have regularly outperformed local school districts academically, and the work of many of their schools, staff, and students has been recognized on local, statewide, and national levels. To date, 100% of their high school graduates have been accepted into college, and over 75% are currently persisting in or have graduated from college.
About the Position
KIPP Delta seeks an Executive Director (ED) to drive the current strategic priorities of the region, as well as set the vision and direction for how the region evolves moving forward. Reporting to the Board of Directors and partnering closely with the senior leadership team, the ED will help ensure success for KIPP Delta students through establishing best-in-class instructional and operational programs. In addition to their internal leadership, the ED will serve as a true external ambassador, deepening existing external relationships and building new ones (e.g., community leaders, partner organizations, donors, education leaders, etc.). This unique role offers an unparalleled opportunity for impact and the chance to develop and grow within a powerful, national network. This is an ideal role for an exceptional manager, motivating leader, and strong external spokesperson, who has demonstrated breakthrough outcomes in a similarly mission-aligned organization or school setting.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Develop and execute on the region's vision and strategic plan
- Works with the local Board, key funders and partners, and the regional leadership team to develop a strategic vision and implementation plan to accomplish it
- Sets clear multi-year academic, operational, and financial goals and manages to them; adapts as necessary given changes in the internal and external environment
- Provides oversight of strong public transparency systems including public compliance and reporting
Builds, retains, and manages a diverse, high-performing regional team that is able to support schools in their drive to deliver transformational educational outcomes for students and alumni
- Continues to build and nurture a strong, cohesive culture that reflects KIPP Delta values and leads to a strong and aligned regional identity
- Enhances and supports strong and consistent accountability systems to ensure regional progress toward shared goals; promotes transparent decision-making processes and embraces distributive leadership principles
- Ensures the regional team operates in a fair, transparent, student-focused, and client-focused manner when supporting and interacting with the schools
- Directly manages the Head of Schools, Chief Academic Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief of Staff
- Prioritizes a commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and works to infuse and emphasize these practices throughout the organization
Ensures KIPP Delta schools meet academic goals
- Provides oversight of academic and school culture vision and priorities
- Works with the Chief Academic Officer and Head of Schools; oversees the implementation and alignment of high-quality curriculum, assessment, data management, and other academic systems across the region
Builds the short and long-term organizational capacity and brand required for excellence, sustainability and growth
- Scales the staff capacity and infrastructure systems necessary to sustain the region
- Oversee leadership team to obtain excellence in regional operations ( i.e. budget planning, compliance, human resources, facilities management, fundraising, and information technology)
- Ensures that the region has a viable long-term financial plan and a sustainable funding base
- Manage development efforts to meet ambitious annual goals by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting public, individual and foundation sources of giving; in particular, ensure that schools are maximizing all public revenue sources
- Oversees marketing efforts, branding initiatives, and advocacy work on behalf of the region at local, state, and national levels
Engages key constituents to build strategic support for KIPP Delta
- Serves as the public face of KIPP Delta Public Schools
- Continues to develop active working Board and committees in close partnership with the Board chair
- Builds coalitions, relationships, and partnerships with key stakeholders including parents, donors, community members, political organizations, and the state department of education, in support of the organization's mission and goals; engages and manages relationships with elected officials and public sector partners (municipal, state, and district staff for Congressional offices) to support the advancement of KIPP Delta Public Schools as a key partner in the region's educational system in the region
- Demonstrates leadership as a member of KIPP's national network by fully engaging as a member of the KIPP Executive Director community; ensure key regional constituents are kept fully informed on key developments and national KIPP initiatives
KEY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR QUALITIES & BELIEFS:
Successful KIPP regions are led by Executive Directors who demonstrate the following beliefs and qualities.
Proves the Possible
- Possesses an unshakable, deeply held personal belief that children growing up in low-income communities can achieve at high levels and can demonstrate exceptional personal character.
- Makes decisions and empowers others to make decisions based on what is best for students.
- Drives relentlessly to achieve exceptional outcomes on behalf of kids, and does so by demonstrating clear intellect, setting and achieving goals, and managing with grit and tenacity.
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment that involves high energy and rapid change.
- Constantly focuses on identifying opportunities to learn and grow, has a track record of strong change management in an organization, and proactively seeks to supplement strong instincts with new ideas and best practices.
- Operates with an exceptional level of self-awareness, humility and integrity in all interactions across our schools and community.
- Builds relationships marked by trust, integrity and respect, and does so with a variety of stakeholders including teachers, leaders, students, parents, community members, Board members, donors and fellow KIPP Executive Directors.
- Believes the essential purpose of his/her work will be to support and develop high-performing leaders, teachers and other staff members to ensure outstanding teaching and learning takes place every day in every KIPP classroom.
- Inspires and effectively manages (directly and indirectly) staff to achieve extraordinary results, and offers a clear vision and direction for regional staff members.
- Cultivates future leaders in academics, administration, culture and school leadership.
Supports Instructional Leadership; Manages Finance and Operations
- Working with the Chief Academic Officer, establishes the regional academic vision and goals and takes ultimate responsibility for academic excellence, ensuring instructional quality and academic performance across the region.
- Increases the efficiency and effectiveness of regional operations to drive even stronger results in school performance.
- Ensures financial sustainability of the organization, both short and long-term.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five years of experience in senior leadership positions within entrepreneurial organizations or teams
- Experience working in or alongside K-12 schools required; strong instructional experience and acumen preferred
- Ability to execute change management and implement a strategic plan; ability to drive KIPP Delta to its next chapter
- Previous people management experience, with the ability to recruit, develop, and retain a high performing team, set priorities, delegate responsibilities, hold teams accountable for outcomes, and provide thoughtful, learning-oriented feedback
- Excellent relationship building skills, with a demonstrated ability to work well with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Strong system-building skills with the ability to set a vision across multiple campuses or regions
- Track record of fundraising success in nonprofit or private sector setting preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to act as a compelling advocate for the work of KIPP Delta
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to achieve goals and align interests through influence and collaboration
- Experience in the nonprofit or education sector preferred
- Bachelor's degree with equivalent work experience required
- Character strengths of: zest, grit, self-control, optimism, social intelligence, gratitude, and curiosity
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
KIPP Delta is committed to hiring a diverse team and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. KIPP Delta is an equal opportunity employer.