About the Organization
KIPP SoCal Public Schools (KIPP SoCal) is a nonprofit organization that operates tuition-free, open-enrollment, charter public schools focused on preparing students in systemically under-resourced communities in Southern California for choice filled lives. In July 2019, KIPP LA Public Schools and KIPP San Diego Public Schools united to become KIPP SoCal Public Schools to better meet the needs of students across the Southern California region. They currently operate 19 schools, educate approximately 8,300 students and support an additional 4,300 alumni who are attending high school and college. Eighty-nine percent of KIPP SoCal students are from low-income families and are eligible for the federal free or reduced-price meals program, and 99 percent are African American or Latino. More than 95 percent of KIPP SoCal middle school students have graduated from high school, and more than 75 percent of college-aged alumni are persisting in college.
Across all of its work, KIPP SoCal Public Schools are unified around a shared commitment to work together with families and communities to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue college and career so that they can lead fulfilling lives and create a more just world. With the support that comes from being part of the 242-school national KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) network, the KIPP SoCal team and family aspire to serve as a model of excellence and collaborate with others to raise the quality of education in Southern California.
About the Position
KIPP SoCal Public Schools seeks a dynamic and strategic leader to serve as its first Chief Talent Officer (CTO). Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Talent Officer will set the vision and direction for attracting, engaging, developing, and retaining KIPP SoCal's 1,000+ person team (poised to nearly double in size over the next five years). The CTO will manage a three-person Director team (Director of Talent Acquisition, Director of Learning & Development, and Director of HR Operations), who in turn collectively oversee a ~20-person talent team. This critical role will also partner closely with leaders across the organization to build exceptional people management practices and ensure a strong, inclusive, and talent-focused culture. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned talent leader to help a thriving, successful organization reach its next level of growth and potential.
Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership, Culture, & Engagement
- Refine and implement the vision for the Talent function at KIPP SoCal Public Schools
- Serve as true culture builder and carrier; helping KIPP SoCal to define and realize their optimal culture tied to their commitment to excellence, diversity and inclusivity
- Recruit, manage, and develop a diverse and exceptional team of professionals. Diligently seeking opportunities for professional development, acting as a coach and thought partner, and serving as an organizational role model
- Lead the team to ensure a culture of high expectations and continual improvement and feedback; establishing clear expectations and promoting exemplary team member support
- Drive processes for gathering employee feedback and addressing employee concerns
- Hold the leadership team accountable for high rates of employee satisfaction and retention as a leading indicator for establishing - KIPP SoCal as an 'employer of choice'
Recruitment and Retention
- Partner with the Director of Talent Acquisition to establish an overarching vision for talent acquisition and a best-in-class recruitment strategy
- Partner with Director of Marketing to ensure compelling outreach efforts to diverse pools of candidates that position KIPP SoCal as an 'employer of choice' for strong candidates
- Advise on the recruitment and selection process and tools to support effective and equitable hiring across the organization
- Partner with the Director of HR to refine the organization's onboarding program to ensure new hires have a smooth and productive initial experience
- Analyze retention data and utilize insights to drive retention of high-performing team members through rewards, recognition, and other data-informed incentives
Professional Development & Performance Management
- Establish a cohesive vision for career pathing, succession, and workforce planning at KIPP SoCal
- Design KIPP SoCal's professional development, promotion, and retention philosophy, factoring in key elements such as rewards, recognition, engagement and satisfaction
- Develop a robust performance management strategy tied to quantitative and qualitative organizational goals, building upon the organization's current annual review process
- In partnership with the talent team, ensure KIPP SoCal delivers best-in-class professional development with a particular focus on developing exceptional people management skills across KIPP SoCal's team
- Work closely with the CEO and CFO to ensure KIPP SoCal's compliance with federal, state, and local laws
- Stay abreast of HR law/policy trends that could impact KIPP SoCal's ability to execute on its mission and growth plan. Propose and implement solutions to mitigate potential threats
- Ensure KIPP SoCal's compensation and position architecture remains aligned and competitive with the broader market
- Develop differentiated licensure support in partnership with the credentialing team, educators, school leaders, and external agencies to comply with state laws overall strengthening teacher retention.
- Serve as a senior resource for high-stakes conflict resolution and HR mediation matters
- Partner with the team to continually optimize HR systems (e.g., HRIS, leave management, learning management, credential tracking etc.) to deliver exceptional results and meet the needs of a growing organization
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- 12+ years of professional experience, including 5 years in a senior talent leadership role, preferably in a growing and dynamic multi-site organization with at least 500+ employees
- Track record of success in implementing high-quality talent practices at a high-performing organization
- Broad knowledge of the talent function, ideally including deep expertise in recruitment, learning & development, and/or HR operations
- Exceptional strategic thinking and problem-solving skills; ability to set vision and direction across large, complex sets of work
- Exceptional people management skills; holds high standards while coaching and developing others; empowers team members to proactively and creatively solve problems
- Track record of coaching and developing management skills in others
- Nuanced relationship building skills; possesses a high level of emotional intelligence and self awareness and the ability to relate/influence across a diverse range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to lead HR system implementations strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously; able to hold a short-, mid-, and long-term lens as needed, can flex between hands-on work and getting results through others
- Collaborative leader and team-player; encourages participation from all members of the team and seeks feedback and ideas from team members at all levels
- Client-service oriented; relishes the challenge of finding new ways to provide better, more efficient support
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy environment with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple deadlines and tasks
- Deep commitment to KIPP SoCal's mission
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
KIPP SoCal Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation/gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.