About the Organization
The Mission Continues (TMC) was founded in 2007 around a belief that veterans possess the drive and desire to serve others, but without access to the tools needed, their potential to make meaningful impact at the local level remains untapped. At the same time, a growing number of communities in this country are under-resourced and being left behind. To address this opportunity, The Mission Continues invests in veterans through a variety of leadership training programs and mobilizes veteran volunteers nationwide through city-based service opportunities. Today, TMC has programs across the country, aimed at developing leadership strengths in veterans and deploying veteran volunteers alongside nonprofit partners and community leaders to improve educational resources, increase access to parks and green spaces, foster neighborhood identity, and more. With an emphasis on long-term impact, by 2021, TMC aspires to:
- Mobilize, develop and train 1,000+ veteran leaders
- Activate 70,000+ veteran and community member service volunteers
- Establish and lead 80+ community-focused operations
- Impact and influence 2M+ citizens
To learn more, please visit: www.missioncontinues.org
About the Position
As The Mission Continues prepares to embark upon their next chapter of growth and evolution, they are seeking a Vice President of Programs (VPP) to lead the expansion and refinement of their key programmatic offerings. This critical position will report directly to the President, serve as a key member of the senior leadership team, and oversee the teams responsible for all elements of the program life cycle ranging from selection, to execution, to evaluation. With three strong programs already underway (e.g., Service Platoon Leadership, Mass Deployment Leadership, Service Leadership Corps) and the opportunity to build and launch the Women Veterans Leadership program, the VPP will strategically refine and scale TMC's work in order to achieve their goals of developing 1,000 veteran leaders by 2021 and building a best-in-class leadership development shop unlike any of its kind.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Program Leadership
- Lead the ongoing design, implementation, evaluation, and refinement of The Mission Continues' programmatic strategy, ensuring alignment with organizational vision and goals.
- Ensure high-quality execution of The Mission Continues program offerings.
- Refine and implement the organization's Empowered Veteran Index (EVI) tool to measure programmatic outcomes (connectedness, personal growth and community impact).
-Oversee ongoing analysis and evaluation of program data to assess program effectiveness, improve performance, and drive future programming.
Team Management & Organizational Leadership
- Serve as a key member of The Mission Continues' senior leadership team, contributing to the development and refinement of organizational strategy and goals.
- Manage a team of three directors (overseeing a ~20-person team collectively) and serve as a model for strong strategic leadership, people management, and professional development.
- Establish a collaborative, unified, innovative, and high-performing culture across all arms of the program team.
- Build consensus and inspire support and participation among staff, Board, volunteers, donors, and the broader community.
Partnership Management & Thought Leadership
- Build and sustain relationships with key funders and external partners.
- Identify opportunities for cross collaboration with current and prospective partner organizations.
- Engage with leaders in the sector to share insights and best practices, staying abreast of new priorities and initiatives and contributing to the broader field.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years professional experience, including 5 years in a senior leadership role within a programmatic setting
- Track record of success in designing and implementing large-scale, complex programs
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Experience with budget development and oversight
- Significant experience leading a large, high-performing team
- Strength in coaching individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills, with a track record of building strong relationships with a diverse group of individuals at all levels
- Experience serving as a spokesperson and thought leader on behalf of an organization
- Deep understanding of and/or first-hand experience with The Mission Continues' mission
Compensation and benefits:
The Mission Continues offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds, and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.