About the Organization
RAINN is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization and leading authority on sexual violence. RAINN is a dynamic organization comprised of experts in victim services, public education, public policy, consulting services, and technology. Their team works together to provide best-in-class services for survivors, inform and educate the nation about sexual violence, and improve the public policy and criminal justice response to sexual violence.
RAINN's victim service programs, which include the National Sexual Assault Hotline and, for the Department of Defense, the DoD Safe Helpline, have helped more than three million survivors and their loved ones.
To raise the visibility of sexual violence and advance the public's understanding of the crime, RAINN's communications team works with the media, entertainment industry, and communities and colleges across the country to provide accurate information about sexual violence prevention, prosecution, and recovery. Recognized as the go-to source for media seeking expert commentary and research on sexual violence news and stories, RAINN's communications team creates content, operates a speakers bureau, and maintains an active social media presence, reacting to current events and ensuring that people who need support can find it through the National Sexual Assault Hotline.
About the Position
The Vice President of Communications will help change the way America thinks about, and responds to, sexual violence. Serving as a key member of RAINN's leadership team, the VP of Communications will contribute to the overall direction of the organization while managing a growing team of media, marketing, and communications professionals.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to:
- Educate the public about sexual assault prevention and recovery.
- Influence the public's understanding of sexual assault.
- Manage RAINN's brand and advance its position as the leading authority on sexual violence.
- Broaden awareness of RAINN's programs and public policy priorities.
- Manage and enhance relationships, and cultivate new ones, with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, celebrities, policy makers, and other key influencers.
- Identify internal and external communications opportunities, and design and execute compelling strategies to make use of those opportunities.
- Oversee the organization's public education programming, which is aimed at changing the way Americans think about and respond to sexual violence.
- Oversee all program components, including traditional and social media, campus and student engagement, RAINN's Speakers Bureau, rainn.org and other initiatives.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage entertainment industry relationships (writers, producers and celebrities) to enhance public understanding of sexual violence and ensure visibility for the issue.
- Lead the development of all of RAINN's communications materials (digital and print); video and digital PSAs; website; newsletter; and collateral materials.
- Serve as an external spokesperson and oversee media relations staff.
- Co-manage relationship with the Department of Defense to promote the DoD Safe Helpline
Team Development and Management
- Manage, mentor and develop a growing team of communications professionals and serve as an organization-wide model for strong strategic leadership, people management, and professional development.
- Establish a collaborative, unified, innovative, and high-performing culture across the communications team.
- Build consensus and inspire support and participation among staff, board, volunteers, donors, and the broader community.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values a commitment to quality and accountability.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 10 years' experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program with a track record of leveraging the communications function to achieve an organization's mission and goals.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with the capacity to make decisions anticipate future needs in a changing environment.
- Track record of building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, with the ability to develop new solutions and approaches to difficult problems.
- Experience in overseeing a website and social media and in producing marketing literature, newsletters, press releases, and other print publications.
- Collaborative approach to work; ability to influence and engage leaders, peers, and direct reports.
- History of creative and thoughtful use of technology to advance communications goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken, with an ability to inform, influence, convince and persuade.
- Innovative, with a track record of translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Ability to travel as necessary (approximately 10%).
- College degree required; advanced degree welcome.
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience
When you work for RAINN, you're joining a team of experts and professionals who stand up for survivors of sexual violence every day. Your job is important—and so are you. RAINN will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. RAINN is committed to maximizing the diversity of its organization and depends on a diverse staff to carry out its mission, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.