About the Organization
Established in 2010, Edible Schoolyard NYC (ESYNYC) is a nonprofit organization committed to bringing Alice Waters' vision to New York City public schools. When Alice Waters, acclaimed restaurateur and food activist, created the Edible Schoolyard Project in Berkeley, California in 1995, she knew the best way to teach children the connections between food, health, and the environment was by integrating an edible education program into our schools' everyday curriculum. Founded as an independent affiliate of the Edible Schoolyard Project, ESYNYC has grown enormously over the past nine years and now operates in 22 schools across NYC, along with a robust train-the-trainer Professional Development Program that currently works with approximately 500 teachers annually. Last year, ESYNYC grew its presence and expanded its reach by merging with the Bubble Foundation.
With a program that is fully integrated into the school day, ESYNYC staff teach hands on garden and cooking lessons, family programs, and support a culture of health and wellness throughout the school through targeted interventions.
About to enter the second year in their four year strategic plan, ESYNYC plans on growing their budget to $4M and expanding opportunities to reach more students, families and teachers.
For more information on Edible Schoolyard NYC, its model, and core values, visit www.edibleschoolyardnyc.org.
About the Position
The Vice President of Development and External Affairs (VPDX) will lead all aspects of ESYNYC's Development Office, representing ESYNYC to external audiences and engaging a broad spectrum of funders and community leaders in support of the organization's mission. This person will be critical in growing the current budget from $3M to $4M over the next 3-years to allow for ESYNYC's deepening and expansion of their program. In addition to growing revenue, the VPDX will also be responsible for diversifying revenue, increasing support from major donors, corporations and foundations.
Reporting into and partnering closely with the Executive Director, the position will sit on the leadership team, work with the board of directors while also managing a team of four across individual giving, events, and marketing. This is a unique opportunity for a sophisticated fundraising leader to apply proven revenue generating and external affairs strategies to strengthen current funding streams and develop new opportunities for growth.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional revenue generator who excels at relationship building, donor stewardship, and being an inspiring external leader. Competitive candidates will have a track record of influencing stakeholders to achieve organizational objectives and of securing major gifts. This person will not only have a deep understanding of best practices in development and external affairs, but also an ability to build best in class systems to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
Donor Engagement, Cultivation, Stewardship, and Solicitation (60%)
- Serve as a key external face and fundraiser for the organization, with a particular focus on managing and growing a major gift portfolio
- Set and deliver ambitious fundraising targets: identify, solicit, and close major gift opportunities
- Identify creative strategies and revenue streams for ESYNYC based on the organization's unique program, its results, and emerging interests in the funding community, in line with the strategic plan's goals to diversify and grow the organization's fundraising capacity in a sustainable way
- Manage relationships with board members and donors, creating a culture of philanthropy among internal and external audiences
- In partnership with the development team, research and actively engage potential institutional and corporate donors, while building, expanding, and cultivating ESYNYC'S existing relationships
- Lead stewardship activities and events including, but not limited to, the Spring Benefit and Harvest Dinner, internal/external meetings, garden tours, face-to-face solicitations, and cultivation and solicitation events
Strategy and Systems Development (20%)
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team and take part in all high level strategic conversations, including playing an active role in strategic planning
- In partnership with the Board and Executive Director, set and deliver on ambitious budget goals for the year
- Maintain and improve ESYNYC's fundraising systems and processes to ensure the organization hits its revenue targets and donors are properly stewarded
Leadership and Management (20%)
- Manage ESYNYC's development and marketing team, coaching individuals to exceed their potential and grow professionally in support of the organization's fundraising goals
- Foster strong cross department communication and collaboration
- Working closely with the Board President and Executive Director, ensure that the ESYNYC Board of Directors is effectively staffed and supported to fulfil and increase its funding responsibilities
- Lead, guide, and staff Board committees on development and external affairs
- Identify new Board prospects that will strengthen ESYNYC's ability to raise philanthropic capital
- Lead and manage the marketing team to ensure the highest quality in fundraising communications and promotional materials, including proposals, applications, correspondence, reports, budgets, and program information
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least eight years of experience fundraising for a mission-driven non-profit organization
- A record of closing 5 and 6-figure gifts from individual donors, with experience across other funding streams, such as corporate, foundations and events
- Excellent interpersonal skills, self-awareness and high emotional intelligence with donors and direct-reports, with an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally
- Database experience required, Salesforce or other CRM experience preferred; high proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Experience managing large, complex projects with evidence of superb organizational skills and attention to detail
- Alignment with the mission and core beliefs of Edible Schoolyard NYC
- Impeccable written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, reflective and growth-oriented environment
- Strong cultural competence; ability to engage and lead diverse groups in support of a common mission
- Familiarity with the funding landscape across foundations, corporations and events in New York City is a plus
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Edible Schoolyard NYC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.