About the Organization
Established in 2008 as an initiative of the Open Society Foundations, the Campaign for Black Male Achievement is a national membership network with the mission to ensure the growth, sustainability, and impact of leaders and organizations committed to improving the life outcomes of Black men and boys. In 2015, CBMA spun off from Open Society Foundations into an independent entity which supports a growing network of more than nearly 8,000 individuals, representing over 2,500 organizations and affiliations organizations across the United States.
The ethos of CBMA is rooted in our core organizational values: Trust, Accountability, Affirmation, Entrepreneurship and Resiliency. We express our ethos to our members and partners through the values of Love, Learn Lead. CBMA leads with a mission mantra that posits "together we are a Thinking, Doing, Learning, Growing, Teaching enterprise".
CBMA remains committed to the goal of enabling Black men and boys to thrive and flourish. In affirming our intermediary role, CBMA aspires to fill a distinctive and critical niche in the market. We have chosen to embrace three interconnected roles, described at a high level below:
- Leadership Developer: Support fellowships and provide in-person convening spaces and leadership training to strengthen and sustain BMA leaders and organizations.
- What Works Engine: Curate existing insights, conduct/commission original research, and share knowledge with members via various channels to help develop, identify and actively scale effective practices.
- Catalytic Investor: Develop a plan and pitch for engaging with high-potential funders to raise and direct sustainable flows of money to the BMA field.
Across these three roles, CBMA focuses on two cross-cutting areas of emphasis:
- Narrative change: Shift the narrative about Black males using an asset-based frame and elevation and support of successes, aspirations and contributions.
- Health and healing: Across activities, promote health, healing and strategies overall sustainability within the BMA field.
About the Position
The Chief Development Officer will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer; will serve on the organization's Executive Leadership Team; and will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer to ensure accurate development and tracking of cash flow projections and financial reporting to funding partners. The Chief Development Officer will manage the development team, and conceptualize then implement strategies for growing the organization's current $3.5M annual budget to $10M by 2023.
The ideal candidate for the Chief Development Officer is an experienced professional with a proven track record of leading a national non-profit organization's fundraising, revenue generation and development strategy, and who brings creativity and innovation to cultivating, stewarding, and closing new champions for CBMA.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead implementation of CBMA's fund development and revenue generation strategies, with the goal of achieving or exceeding fundraising goals ($3.5-10M, per year) from sources including but not limited to private foundations, events, activities, high-net worth individuals and private sector partners.
- Lead, collaborate and manage a full-time Development Manager; grow a team that works to support the organization's fund development and revenue generation strategy.
- Lead the research and cultivation of new donors and funding partners.
- Develop and write concept papers, grants and Letters of Inquiry (LOI) to funding prospects.
- Create and manage a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals and grant reports.
- Ensure prompt notification of funding gifts to the operations team.
- Ensure accurate and timely tracking of funder cultivation and engagement.
- Support the CEO in establishing, growing and maintaining contacts and relationships with funding partners.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Conduct rigorous research and due diligence in the fund development process.
- Work in collaboration with subject matter experts to strategically plan, draft, and package high-impact funding reports.
- Provide analysis of evidence-based practices for developing funding proposals and reports.
- Create a plan to grow individual donors and increase corporate partnership portfolio.
- Lead and/or participate in CBMA special events and field-building activities.
- Work closely with the CEO and executive leadership team to prepare for funding meetings and presentations.
- Work closely with the communications team to highlight the impact of CBMA work within the funding community.
- Work with Chief Executive Officer to ensure budget and financial reports are completed in a timely and exemplary manner.
-Review, process, and manage CBMA's grants to partner organizations in the field of Black male achievement.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Must demonstrate commitment to and embrace CBMA's mission and values.
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters' degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 year track record of successful fundraising and resource development experience at a nonprofit organization required. Demonstrated track-record of obtaining funding from foundations, local and national grant sources, and/or individual donors -- with an emphasis on new donor relationships.
- Have knowledge and experience in innovative and impactful fundraising techniques (including leveraging technology), particularly major gift fundraising, with experience closing multiple seven-figure gifts.
- Exceptional people, resource and time management skills with an ability to effectively manage up, down and sideways.
- Excellent, persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor, and exercise discretion (receive and retain confidential information).
- Ability to advance and persuade people and institutions to support CBMA's mission, goals and ethos via presentations and public speaking opportunities.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues and synthesize diverse sets of institutional perspectives into coherent written documents.
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail and project management skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to be proactive, be entrepreneurial, and work independently.
- Familiarity with fundraising platforms, especially Salesforce, is strongly preferred.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.