NY - New York metropolitan area
About the Organization
Nearly 40,000 people died from gun violence in 2017, the highest level in 40 years. This uniquely American crisis leaves no community untouched—but it doesn't have to be this way. From passing legislation strengthening our gun laws to investing in evidence-based programs, there are steps we can and should take to make our country safer.
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords works to tackle America's gun violence crisis. A safer America is possible—one where our children can grow up without fear of gun violence—and that is why they are in this fight. Giffords takes a multi-faceted approach:
They work to foster a culture where Americans are informed about what makes them safer and inspired to fight for a safer future.
They research, write, and propose policies that make Americans safer and mobilize voters, advocates, and lawmakers in support of safer gun laws.
They hold the gun lobby and any special interests who seek to profit at the expense of public safety accountable.
About the Position
With a mission centered around supporting and defending safer gun laws, it's critical that Giffords has exceptional legal talent at the core of their organization. They seek to hire a Litigation Attorney to join their small but mighty Litigation & Research team in order to further expand the reach of their litigation work. This exciting new role will serve as a leader and thought partner internally by advising colleagues on key legal and litigation developments as well as externally through partnerships with outside clients/partners (e.g., cities, partnership organizations, etc.). The Litigation Attorney will report directly to the Litigation Director and will manage outside counsel and pro bono attorneys.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Maintain expertise on the Second Amendment and gun policy litigation.
- Develop expertise in Second Amendment law, other constitutional challenges affecting gun safety laws, and litigation against the gun industry.
- Stay up-to-date by tracking major legal developments and academic publications on gun policy litigation.
- Advise other Giffords teams on legal and litigation developments affecting policy priorities and on the effects of judicial nominations and shifts in the courts.
- Provide legal and technical expertise about the Second Amendment, the courts, and gun policy litigation to attorneys and the public.
Contribute and develop new litigation theories and case strategies.
- Conduct legal research and analysis to develop theories supporting litigation or advocacy projects that will reduce gun violence, hold the gun industry accountable, pursue justice for survivors, and advance equity for communities most affected by gun violence.
- Monitor and identify key cases that warrant direct assistance from the Giffords litigation team, including cases in which to file amicus curiae briefs, provide technical assistance, or advocate for a policy response.
Manage active litigation.
- Represent individual, organizational, and government clients in litigation. Draft, review, and edit pleadings, motions, and briefs.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel, pro bono law firms, partner organizations, and experts.
- Coordinate internal and external communications in relation to active litigation cases.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- J.D. degree plus a minimum of three years of litigation experience
- Experience with Second Amendment law and gun litigation a plus!
- Strong knowledge and understanding of litigation process and case proceedings
- Proven track record in managing cases, including but not limited to drafting, reviewing, and editing pleadings, motions, and briefs, monitoring and identifying cases that warrant direct assistance, filing amicus curiae briefs, and representing individual or government clients in litigation
- Experience conducting legal research and analysis and translating insights into new theories and case strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present legal subject matter to a non-legal audience
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse array of stakeholders, building relationships and acting as an empathetic and respectful thought partner
- Possesses an inclusive work style, values diverse perspectives, seeks to understand the perspectives of others, and desires to learn and grow by acknowledging any limitations and blindspots
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with a high attention to detail
- Ability to juggle several concurrent projects across multiple stakeholders, establishing clear lines of communication and keeping work on track and on time
- Deep conviction to serve Giffords' mission of tackling America's gun violence crisis
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Like Giffords, On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose.