About the Organization
The Trevor Project is the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world's largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We've been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
About the Position
The Trevor Project's research team has recently completed the largest ever survey on LGBTQ youth mental health in the U.S. and is now looking to expand this success internationally to represent the voices of LGBTQ youth around the world. Reporting to the Director of Research, the Research Manager will lead all aspects of the preparation and execution of an international survey on LGBTQ youth mental health. The Research Manager will be responsible for conducting the planning stages of the survey including ensuring all legal and ethical issues related to international research are appropriately addressed, developing relationships with key stakeholders in international locations, and ensuring our survey is developed in ways that are linguistically and culturally appropriate and inclusive to youth across each country we include. The research manager will then lead the execution of our first every international survey of LGBTQ youth mental health.
Who you are:
- Experienced. You have a track record of managing survey research, including expertise with youth populations and surveys in international settings.
- Relationship builder. You communicate clearly and concisely and are comfortable identifying and reaching out to relevant stakeholders outside of the organization to build productive research collaborations.
- Results-focused. You adhere to project timelines and drive projects to completion. You know that completing shareable outputs is the key to having significant impact.
- Efficient. You know how to maximize time and resources to deliver high quality results, including the ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously and set strategic priorities.
- Survey Savvy. You are an expert in the design of complex surveys including the use of online survey software such as Qualtrics.
- Credentialed. You have a Master's degree or PhD in public health, survey methods, psychology, epidemiology, or other relevant field of study.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn't mean we don't have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you'll do:
- Lead Trevor's first ever international survey of LGBTQ youth mental health from its initial planning stages through implementation.
- Create a comprehensive resource list of countries around the world including information such as primary language, existing LGBTQ organizations, LGBTQ acceptance ratings, and potential barriers for participating in a global survey of LGBTQ youth.
- Determine and adhere to international ethics requirements for conducting a survey with LGBTQ youth ages 13-24 that includes sensitive topics like mental health and suicide.
- Identify and build relationships with potential international collaborators in each country of interest to ensure that the recruitment procedures and survey content are appropriate for youth in their country and that the results will support data-informed initiatives in their countries.
- Develop a comprehensive and nuanced recruitment strategy for survey participants.
- With the assistance of consultants and translators, develop survey drafts that are culturally and linguistically tailored to each of the target countries.
- Manage the online survey process including integrating the survey into an online survey platform and managing responses.
- Ensure that our surveys are tapping into key research areas.
Compensation and benefits:
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), and Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people every day