About the Organization
The National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA) is an independent voice for thoughtful authorizing practices and policies that lead to more great schools. They accomplish this by leveraging a multi-prong approach spanning communication, research, policy, and direct support to authorizers in order to promote a climate of access, autonomy and accountability across the authorizing landscape. Grounded in the core belief that our nation needs to provide better schools to more children, particularly children whose education has not been prioritized, and that excellent authorizing plays a vital role in that effort, NACSA envisions a future where all will have access to schools that prepare them for success in life.
Learn more about NACSA at: www.qualitycharters.org.
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Vice President, Communications will develop and manage the overall communications strategy for this dynamic, impact-driven organization. This critical role will lead the charge both internally and externally in establishing a clear and cohesive organization-wide communications strategy and building the infrastructure from which it is delivered. The VP, Communications will ensure that NACSA effectively tells its story in a way that reaches and resonates with a wide array of stakeholders (e.g., authorizers, community members, state agencies, funders, policy makers etc.) and in doing so, position the organization as a trusted leader in the space at both the community and national level. This is an exciting opportunity for a mission-driven communications professional, who understands the charter landscape, to shape and execute communications within an evolving, national organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance NACSA's external positioning and broaden visibility, awareness, and support of the organization's overall strategy, priorities, and impact across a wide range of key stakeholders
- Oversee consistent, high-quality, external communications efforts, while also establishing the necessary infrastructure (e.g., systems, tools, processes) needed to ensure strong internal alignment around NACSA's communications efforts
- Manage a small but mighty, 2-person full time communications team while also overseeing key relationships with external communications firms
- Serve as a coach and mentor to direct reports; setting clear and ambitious goals and supporting colleagues in their professional development and growth
- In partnership with outside agencies; lead the creation of editorial content, design, production, and distribution of NACSA's collateral materials
- Manage media and press relations to ensure positive coverage of NACSA's initiatives, special events, public announcements and other projects
- Collaborate with the staff and Board to promote positive internal communications that engage and inform employees and ensure that NACSA's culture, values and beliefs are reinforced across the organization
- Serve as an active member of the Senior Leadership Team and engage heavily in a collective and collaborative decision-making process
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 7+ years professional experience; minimum of 5 years in communications and/or public relations
- Experience managing people/teams towards outcomes with clear evidence of coaching and developing strengths in others
- Experience building communications infrastructure (e.g., systems, tools, processes) in order to ensure effective and measurable outcomes
- Demonstrated experience leading a comprehensive strategic communications effort aimed at advancing an organization's mission and goals (ideally reaching both national and community-based audiences)
- Evidence of working collaboratively across a wide range of stakeholders in order to advance work and deliver outcomes; ability to serve as a trusted thought partner
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas, such as policy and data, to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to "get their hands dirty", meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and advance multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Personal commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and desire to help advance those values within an organizational culture
- Understanding of the charter school landscape and alignment with NACSA's core beliefs that authorizing plays a pivotal role in ensuring our nation provides better schools to more children
Compensation and benefits:
The salary range for this role is $135K to $155K, commensurate with experience.
NACSA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, or current employment status.
NACSA encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. We are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We're partnering with the team at NACSA to build a diverse team that will help ensure ALL children have access to high-quality, public schools. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.