About the Organization
Code for America believes that government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government services can and should be as good as the best consumer services: simple, accessible, and easy to use. And when they are, we all spend less, get better outcomes, and serve everyone with dignity and respect. Code for America uses the principles and practices of the digital age and its people power (25,000 strong of volunteers) to create government systems that work for all people. While fostering greater connection and impact in their volunteer network, Code for America has also partnered with governments to redesign systems (Social Safety Net Benefits, Tax Benefits, and Automatic Record Clearance) that impact low-income, underserved communities.
We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both government and the people government serves, we're building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact.
At Code for America you contribute to interesting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
To learn more, please visit www.codeforamerica.org.
About the Position
As Code for America sets out to scale its impact, the Chief Operations and People Officer (COPO) will serve as a critical senior leader charged with leading the coordination of internal operations and key functions (e.g., People, Operations, and Finance). Reporting directly to (and working hand-in-hand with) the CEO, the COPO will translate Code for America's strategic vision into a sound operational plan. The COPO will directly manage a team of 3-4 and in doing so, will coach and develop talent across the organization towards outcomes while building and maintaining a positive and inclusive organizational culture.
With growth on the horizon, the COPO will also bring a critical eye towards designing and implementing organization-wide systems capable of supporting Code for America's growing work. The COPO role is an exciting opportunity for an operations and people guru who thrives at leading through times of growth and change.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategy and Team Leadership
- Serve as a leader of the organization, modeling inclusive leadership throughout
- Promote and serve as a culture carrier for Code For America's values with a deep commitment to holding themselves (and others at the organization) to living out diversity, equity, and inclusion
- In partnership with the CEO, determine and design the appropriate organizational structure to meet short- and long-term goals and priorities as Code for America scales its impact
- Ensure open communication and collaboration across the organization regarding the measurement of financial, programmatic, people, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
- Work closely with senior leadership team to establish practices and systems that promote opportunity and professional growth at every level of the organization
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with a wide range of stakeholders; provide thought partnership to CEO, senior leaders, and other relevant stakeholders
Organizational and Operations Management
- Design/improve and oversee systems, processes, and structures that will monitor and promote the alignment and allocation of resources with broader organization-wide strategic priorities, and lead to more effective working partnerships within and across programs
- Establish and manage effective systems for People and Finance tracking objectives and key results (OKRs); regularly evaluating and tracking progress to goal
- Prepare regular reports of top-level finance and people metrics for the CEO and board
- Ensure Senior Program Directors and others have the resources and talent they need and are well positioned to deliver on their respective outcomes and have the right goals in focus
- Identify cross-functional improvements that optimizes the efficacy, efficiency, and future growth of Code for America's organizational operations
- Build, implement, and maintain systems and processes to support Code for America's operational infrastructure with an eye towards scaling
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 15 years of work experience in operations or people management, including a minimum of five years of senior management experience; ideally leading an organization through growth periods
- Experience managing projects and teams across a variety of engagements; brings working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operations metrics
- Exceptional people and operations skills; ability to establish systems and processes in order to maximize efficiency and deliver high-quality results across an organization
- An unwavering belief that people are the core to any mission-driven organization and strong operations foster the ability to manage through complex, challenging issues
- High degree of emotional intelligence with the ability to build trust and buy in-from a wide array of stakeholders; believes deeply in the importance of human capital; has managed and developed/coached teams to achieve ambitious results
- Possesses strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to organize and interpret data, generate insights, and anticipate challenges and opportunities
- Experience operationalizing strategic plan into tactical implementation and brings comfort operating within ambiguity and driving to clarity wherever possible
- Deep commitment to Code for America's mission, ethos, and values is an absolute must!
Compensation and benefits:
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, life, 401(k), transportation subsidy. See more below.
What you'll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
Location: San Francisco, CA
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.