About the Organization
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don't have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We're here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we've been providing women with hope, children with health, and a future for families.
About the Position
The Strategic Development Executive is responsible for contributing to building strategic fundraising partnerships that will help shape the next stage of evolution and growth at Water.org. These partnerships will include multi-national corporations, foundations, and individuals – with an emphasis on high-net-worth individuals. Candidates should be highly energized to drive the identification, cultivation, and securing of gifts that power impact and unrestricted revenue.
This is an ideal role for an individual with superior collaboration and relationship building skills who is deeply passionate about Water.org's work and mission. They will develop effective working relationships across all departments at Water.org, as well as initiate and build relationships with key external stakeholders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Relationship Management and Revenue Generation
- Establish and own new, high-impact, fundraising partnerships with a focus on high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs).
- Help establish strategies for securing a robust base of HNWI partners.
- Strategically collaborate to meet individual, department, and organizational fundraising goals, targeting gifts in the six-figure+ range.
- With the fundraising team, develop and implement effective outreach strategies to pursue partnerships that support the expansion of Water.org's programs and operations worldwide.
- Establish and display a thorough understanding of Water.org's scaling strategy, footprint, structure and unique selling points across its markets.
- Assess and track donor behavior on an ongoing basis, prioritizing outreach and communication to each donor accordingly.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working relationships with internal stakeholders, including management and program staff within Water.org, to develop comprehensive partnerships that drive revenue growth and advance Water.org's global scaling strategy.
- Meet annual revenue targets, determined in partnership with the fundraising leadership team.
Fundraising Operations and Reporting
- Collaborate with the Grants Management team to develop and review written proposals and progress reports, connecting donor interests to Water.org's in-country programs.
- Collaborate with Water.org's marketing and communications team to develop tailored strategies for funders that lead to awareness, understanding, and appreciation of Water.org's efforts worldwide.
- Develop timely revenue projections and provide complete, accurate internal reporting on donor outreach and activities.
- Manage multiple, complex and multifaceted internal and external interfaces required.
- Build and manage a team of high performing fundraisers.
- Support the fundraisers to manage a portfolio of existing donors to maintain strong relationships that deepen and grow over time.
- Set and drive team-wide goals and engage in active coaching and professional development conversations with direct reports.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Revenue Generation - Brings 10+ years of progressive front-line experience in fundraising, complex sales relationships, and/or business development, with a strong knowledge of the West Coast market.
- Mission Alignment - Articulates a clear passion for Water.org's mission and ideally brings a strong understanding of international development preferred or related sectors, such as microfinance, water and sanitation, and CSR and ESG.
- Relationship and Network Building – Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization and gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Customer Orientation – Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Results Driven – Consistently sets and achieves ambitious goals, even in the face of ambiguity and change.
- Collaboration and Coaching – Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives, consistently providing feedback to support successful outcomes.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learns through experimentation when taking on new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Business Insight – Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals.
- Processes Management – Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement and creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making and leverages it to advise funders, partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Problem Solving – Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Values Differences – Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization and highly prioritizes diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree or industry experience equivalency required.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. Water.org does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. Water.org provides qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We're partnering with the team at Water.org to build a diverse team that will advance their mission and work. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.