About the Organization
New Profit is a nonprofit venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit's strategy focuses on building a breakthrough portfolio of grantee-partners to take on entrenched systemic challenges in America, including by driving resources and support to Black, Indigenous, and Latino/a/x social entrepreneurs who have unique proximity to solutions, but face stark racial funding disparities in philanthropy; and investing in social entrepreneurs with new systems change models across a range of issues.
New Profit stands shoulder-to-shoulder with social entrepreneurs in support of their vision, with a specific focus on helping them build the capacity of their organizations in four areas: 1) Impact 2) Equity & Proximity, 3) Adaptive Leadership, and 4) Sustainability. We provide two levels of funding and strategic support to organizations in our portfolio: "Build Investments" and "Catalyze Investments."
Catalyze Investments: Though our Catalyze Investments, we provide $50K-$100K unrestricted grants, strategic advice, and a peer learning community over one to two years (through a cohort-based model) to catalyze the innovations of organizations with leaders and focus areas that have been historically underinvested in by philanthropy.
Build Investments: through our Build Investments, we provide grantee-partners a $1M+ multi-year, unrestricted grant and deep advisory support. A dedicated New Profit Partner serves as a trusted advisor to the social entrepreneur and as a member of the organization's board of directors. Our support is geared towards building the leadership capacity of social entrepreneurs, boards, and senior teams and their ability to make strategic choices as they navigate change and growth.
Learn more at newprofit.org.
About the Position
New Profit seeks to hire a Partner for our Portfolio Investing team. The Partner is the linchpin to our capacity building support model for our Build Investments. This individual would be responsible for managing a small portfolio of approximately four investments from identification and due diligence to investment and long-term support. The Partner is a senior leadership position and reports directly to the Managing Partner, Portfolio Investing and will collaborate closely with members of the investing team. This is an ideal opportunity for a strategic social sector leader and entrepreneur to support other leaders in scaling their organizations and making positive social change.
The Partner assumes four critical roles relative to each of the investments they manage:
Strategic Advisor & Project Lead:
- Establish a strong and trusting partnership with the social entrepreneur, supporting them in achieving their vision for impact
- Share New Profit's perspective, insights and pattern recognition on issues related to organizational growth, impact, and capacity building
- As necessary, take on project leadership in discrete strategic planning efforts in collaboration with the CEO and Senior Team
- Coaching the social entrepreneur, and as needed, other senior team and board members to understand their professional development needs and help them unlock their capacity for learning and adaptability and to lead organizations that embody these values
- Support and govern the organization as outlined in its Board Charter and following best practices
- Fulfill your fiduciary role and protect the public interest of the organization
- Support the effectiveness of the Board's leadership and governance using New Profit's Board Development Theory
- Represent the organization in the broader community
New Profit Funder & Investor Steward:
- Provide fiduciary oversight over the New Profit grant
- Serve as the "holder" of New Profit's Deal Definition of Success and evaluate the organization on an ongoing basis against the Definition of Success
- Communicate New Profit's expectations and needs as a Funder to the portfolio organization
- Provide regular Deal Management updates such as Deal Dashboards and work plans, annual diagnostics, and other internal deal tracking activities
- Actively participate in New Profit's Partner activities and be a supportive member of the Partner community (e.g. attend Deal Consult Days)
In additional to their core responsibilities as a Partner, the successful individual should also anticipate involvement in other activities including:
- Investment Selection: lead screening and diligence for prospective investments; provide support and insight throughout the decision-making process; and assess organizations on leadership, impact, scalability, and overall fit.
- Firm Internal Initiative Leadership: expanding capacity building practice and/or cross cutting priority firm projects
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to New Profit's mission
- Excitement to work shoulder-to-shoulder in partnership with innovative, social entrepreneurs, being the "wind to their sails" as they realize their vision
- A successful track record of management positions of increasing complexity and responsibility
- Experience leading teams and bringing a solutions-driven approach to complex projects in an entrepreneurial environment; ability to set goals and priorities, facilitate decisions, and manage others and resources efficiently
- Deep experience advising and supporting CEOs / Executives in achieving their vision (strategy, leadership, operations, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience building and managing professional relationships and coaching and developing talent; a collegial and team-building approach that puts others at ease and engenders trust
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to centering equity in your work and your ways of working
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to understanding all forms of oppression in order to act to dismantle structural racism, sexism, and other forms of oppression
- An eagerness to "roll up one's sleeves" and take on the full range of activities required to support the efforts of the team
- An action orientation, with an ability to balance initiative with collaboration
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to represent New Profit and its portfolio organizations in a professional, engaging, and dynamic manner
- Entrepreneurial mindset and an ability to design and execute consistently on innovations, processes and practice areas
Location: Flexible, USA
Compensation and benefits:
New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.