About the Organization
Did you know that only 21% of low-income, first-generation students in the U.S. graduate from college within six years? Those who do graduate have a median household income 27% lower than their peers.
While there are a multitude of college access programs for high school seniors and job assistance programs for low-wage earners, there are few programs that ensure first-generation students stay in school and build the skills necessary to prepare for long-term careers. This is where America Needs You (ANY) comes in.
ANY provides first-generation college students with transformative mentorship and intensive career development. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in New York City with operations in New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California, ANY delivers an impactful, standardized national Fellows program and curriculum that touches hundreds of students each year.
ANY has ambitious growth goals to impact more students by growing our Fellows Program to serve 1,000 students annually and launching an entirely virtual program, FirstGenU, to serve thousands of additional students.
To learn more about ANY, please visit www.americaneedsyou.org.
About the Position
America Needs You seeks its next Chief Executive Officer ("CEO"). The CEO has overall strategic and operational responsibility for ANY's staff, programs and growth plans, ensuring that ANY's fiscal, operational, development, programmatic and scale strategies are effectively and consistently implemented across the organization. The CEO is responsible for setting and implementing a strategic vision, long-term and short-term organizational priorities, programmatic offerings and funding strategies focused on sustainability, high quality student outcomes and scale. The CEO manages diverse internal and external stakeholder groups and serves as the external face of the organization, enhancing ANY's visibility and brand recognition.
This position requires exceptional drive, passion, organization and time-management skills, a track-record of achieving excellence, proven success in management and fundraising, and the ability to oversee the day-to-day operations of a growing organization. The CEO reports to the National Board.
The CEO's responsibilities include:
Strategic Vision and Leadership: provide vision and direction to lead ANY's growth strategy; collaborate with the National Board and staff to establish, refine and implement ANY's strategic plan and priorities; maintain ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation and consistent processes across the organization; actively engage the ANY community to support the successful execution of the ANY mission;
Development and Communications: partner with the Chief External Affairs Officer to refine and implement ambitious national and local fundraising goals and strategies providing for existing operations and growth goals; ensure that all local sites have a sustainable and diversified funding base that includes individuals, corporations, foundations, special event, public and in-kind sources; ensure that systems and strategies are in place to meet fundraising goals across sites; build and manage national relationships to provide for growth goals; serve as the public face of ANY, enhancing ANY's visibility, brand recognition, and relevance in the communities in which ANY operates; serve as a thought leader and advocate, nationally, in the field of college and career success;
Board Management: develop, maintain, and support a strong National Board, recruit new National Board and local advisory board members and actively energize the various boards so they can fulfill their oversight, fundraising and external relations responsibilities; work with the each National Board member to design and implement fundraising strategies that increase and diversify ANY's revenue streams; manage National Board communications and facilitate quarterly meetings; lead National Board onboarding, ongoing training and annual goal-setting processes;
Programs and Scale: partner with the Chief Operating Officer to guide and oversee national strategy for scaling up and replication of our best-in-class programs; ensure program quality, consistency and impact across sites; ensure rigorous program evaluation to drive program model changes; support local program strategies and program partnerships (i.e. college and university partners);
Staff Management: inspire and energize ANY staff; create and promote open communication and a professional, productive and positive work environment defined by ANY's culture statement and core values: Excellence, Community, Integrity, Curiosity, Accountability, Data & Results; coach and lead a high-performing, diverse senior leadership team; provide ample opportunities for professional development; facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; model and champion ANY's mission and vision throughout the organization, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
Financial Management: in partnership with the Chief Financial Officer and the Board, oversee ANY's budget, cash flows and overall finances; and maintain sound financial practices and controls, positive cash flows and net revenues, appropriate expense/revenue allocations and legal and financial integrity of the organization.
- Executive leadership: A minimum of seven years of executive leadership experience, with a track record of success scaling organizations in the education, career development, and/or nonprofit sectors; demonstrated success leading a growing, high-performing organization -- ideally, a multisite organization -- strongly preferred
- Ambitious thinking: A leader who holds the bold and expansive belief that transformative mentorship and intensive career development will ensure that socio-economic status is not a barrier to college persistence and career success
- Broad personal and professional network: Ability to activate networks towards mission goals while also integrating deeply with the network that has made ANY successful to date
- Strategic thinking: Demonstrated success developing a compelling strategic vision for improving outcomes, particularly for those that need it most, and leveraging volunteers to achieve that vision
- Critical thinking: Ability to translate the ambitious vision for which ANY was founded into an effective, testable, and evolving strategy
- Values-Driven: Alignment with organizational values and operating principles; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the ability to serve as an exemplar for an organization's values and foster an inclusive and respectful workplace
- Strategic Leadership: Ability to communicate our strategy internally and externally to partners, funders, and the public, with the ability to visibly demonstrate leadership and represent ANY in the higher education, corporate, and funding communities
- Team Management: Proven experience building and managing teams
- Track record of leading a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability; capable of recruiting, mentoring, and training ANY leadership
- Ability to evolve ANY's culture; able to lead a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability
- Collaborative approach to creating processes and standards that support the ANY's mission and programs
- Deeply mission-driven, with a strong belief in mentorship and career development as potential levers for change.
- Supportive, committed to mentoring others
- Collaborative and respectful
- Low ego
- Open and direct
- Unquestionable integrity
Compensation and benefits:
New York, NY strongly preferred; other locations considered on a case-by-case basis
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: The compensation for this position will be competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate's experience. ANY offers health and dental benefits and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
America Needs You is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workplace, and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We're partnering with the team at ANY to build a diverse team that reflects the diversity of the students in its programs. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.