About the Organization
Since 2003, Common Sense has been the leading source of entertainment and technology recommendations for families and schools. Every day, millions of parents and educators trust Common Sense reviews, advice and award-winning K-12 Digital Citizenship Curriculum to help them navigate the digital world with their kids. Together with policymakers, industry leaders, and global media partners, we're building a digital world that works better for all kids, their families, and their communities.
Common Sense Media offers the largest, most trusted library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, Apple TV, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Our timely parenting advice supports families as they navigate the challenges and possibilities of raising kids in the digital age.
Common Sense Education supports K–12 schools with everything educators need to empower the next generation of digital citizens. Our innovative, award-winning Digital Citizenship Curriculum prepares students with lifelong habits and skills, supports teachers with training and recognition, and engages families and communities with helpful tips and tools. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. Our vision: Students thriving as learners, leaders, and citizens in the digital age.
Common Sense Advocacy is an independent voice for kids, families, and communities everywhere. We combine original research with game-changing advocacy efforts to make the digital world work better for all kids. Our advocacy work highlights legislation related to technology and identifies solutions that protect consumer privacy, push for better connectivity for students and families, and hold tech companies accountable to ensure a healthy internet for all.
About the Position
The Senior Director of Development, East Coast will serve as the lead strategist, frontline fundraiser, and manager of major gifts and event fundraising on the East Coast. They will manage the New York Regional Advisory Council and oversee cultivation and fundraising activities across the region. Working closely with the Vice President of Development, the Chief Strategy & Development Officer, and the New York Regional Advisory Council, this position is responsible for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding existing and new donor relationships, with a focus on major and leadership gifts.
Common Sense seeks a creative, talented, experienced development professional who has a proven track record of success in securing major gifts, developing strong relationships, engaging volunteers, and being part of a dynamic organization that is focused on helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Presence Building and Advisory Councils
- Act as lead ambassador for Common Sense on the East Coast, with a primary focus on the New York metropolitan region
- Build, guide and maximize the efforts of the New York Regional Advisory Council to expand Common Sense's regional presence and philanthropic base
- Speak at cultivation events and conferences to raise awareness about Common Sense's mission and programs.
- Explore opportunities to build Common Sense's presence and philanthropic base in other East Coast cities (e.g. Boston, Washington, DC).
Strategy and Planning
- Design and drive a comprehensive major gifts fundraising program on the East Coast that raises $3M+ annually from a combination of individual donors and high-impact events. Collaborate with the VP of Development in building out regional fundraising goals and setting an actionable plan for achieving them
- Collaborate with the VP of Development and Chief Strategy & Development Officer to identify, cultivate and recruit East + + Coast members for the new National Leadership Council
- Develop and implement creative approaches to engage and steward donors to build a sustaining network of philanthropic support on the East Coast
- Provide accurate and timely pipeline reports and revenue projections
Major Gift Portfolio Management
- Manage and expand a portfolio of 50-100 major donors on the East Coast with potential to contribute gifts of $5K-$100K+ annually
- Plan, develop and oversee the implementation of individual cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for the East Coast regional portfolio
- Maintain an active schedule of face-to-face qualification and cultivation visits for current and prospective major gift donors
- Continuously research and identify new prospects and work diligently to convert to active donors
- Strategically leverage the New York Regional Advisory Council, executive team and board members in prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation, as appropriate
- Successfully align donor interests with Common Sense's program initiatives and educate donors on Common Sense's impact
- Deliver exceptional stewardship to the East Coast regional portfolio
Events (in-person and virtual)
- Lead planning, fundraising, and execution of all local cultivation and fundraising events, including an annual New York fundraising gala and rotating Common Sense Media Awards
- Work with the New York Regional Advisory Council and New York-based board members to host donor cultivation events and to chair/sponsor/support fundraisers
- Identify, cultivate and solicit corporate sponsors for fundraising events and programs
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree a plus
- Minimum of 5 years working in a senior management role in at least one of the following sectors: nonprofit, media and technology, education.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of successful experience in fundraising (particularly in a field related to education, families and children) through board, major volunteer or operating roles.
- Successful track record in major gifts cultivation and solicitation (five-to-seven figure gifts); campaign and corporate sponsorship experience a plus.
- Deep knowledge of the New York and East Coast philanthropic landscape as well as the media, education, and business landscape
- Strategic mindset and ability to a build compelling case for support
- Willing to travel locally, in the east coast, and spend a few days in San Francisco each quarter (post-covid)
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; public speaking experience required
- Superior relationship-building skills; confidence and proven ability to inspire, engage and build authentic and lasting relationships with philanthropists and supporters
- Creative and high level of energy and productivity
- Deep understanding and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Execution-focused and able to convert strategy into action and results
- A high degree of self-motivation, self-direction, and ingenuity in a highly entrepreneurial environment
- Proficiency with donor databases and office technology systems, including Google Workspace and Salesforce, preferred
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE APPLY:
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
Common Sense will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.