About the Organization
Gary Community Ventures invests in for-profit and philanthropic solutions for Colorado's low-income children and their families. Gary Community Ventures believes that business and philanthropy can—and should—work together to create opportunities for those who need it most. As such, Gary Community Ventures is committed to investing in quality early childhood and youth development systems, expanding sustainable economic opportunities, and developing and supporting programs that create healthy family and community environments.
You can learn more about the work the team at Gary leads here.
About the Position
The Vice President of Philanthropy will oversee Gary's Philanthropy team and will lead a dynamic team focused on making high-impact, innovative grants across the organization's three key outcome areas: youth success, school readiness, and family economic mobility. In addition, the Philanthropy team is also leading a range of impact platforms, both big policy plays as well as new collaborative programs/initiatives that are incubated within Gary. The Vice President of Philanthropy will serve as an entrepreneurial leader, supporting these efforts and guiding individual teams launching and running these impact platforms.
Reporting directly to the CEO and President, the VP, Philanthropy will also serve as a key leader and thought partner to leadership and staff all while developing strong relationships with stakeholders in business, academia, philanthropic organizations, and government. The VP will lead a team of 5, with 3 direct reports.
This is an ideal role for a visionary, strategic, and proven leader who can articulate a vision that others embrace, and at the same time execute on complex ideas and solutions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- As a key member of Gary Community Ventures leadership team, support the organization's vision and strategy and continue to instill an expanded, diversified culture of philanthropy in the organization
- Lead, manage, and grow Gary's philanthropic portfolio by building on the current grantmaking strategy across the three outcome areas: school readiness, youth success, and family economic mobility
- Bring a strong entrepreneurial mindset to help launch and manage innovative impact ventures that are incubated within Gary (ex: Covid Check Colorado, The Dearfield Fund for Black Wealth)
- Help strengthen the grantmaking process focused on bringing discipline to the entire value-chain -- sourcing, screening, due-diligence, approval, and grants management of new opportunities
- Align the philanthropic portfolio with Gary's policy objectives, helping to both discover and invest in pioneering policy solutions for at-scale impact (ex: Proposition EE, Amendment B)
- Provide leadership in deeply embedding equity and diversity within Gary's philanthropic strategy
- Serve as ambassador for Gary Community Ventures, representing the organization externally and building authentic, lasting relationships with critical stakeholders
- Provide leadership and supervision to project team members and consultants, monitor budgets and spending, and assume responsibility for the analytical process by which teams create value
- Attract, develop, coach and manage a team of development professionals, holding team members accountable for achieving ambitious goals and ensuring they have opportunities for professional growth and development
- Implement a continuous improvement philosophy that includes benchmarking programs, peer-based performance metrics, and outcomes that support high performance standards
- Ensure compliance with relevant policies, laws, and standards
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in philanthropy, non-profit, government, and/or private sector -- with a strong commitment to social impact and systemic change. Prior experience managing and executing on a philanthropic portfolio is a plus
- Cross-functional collaboration skills working across a range of sectors (business, policy, and philanthropy), building authentic relationships and acting as a thought partner to internal and external stakeholders
- Prior entrepreneurial experience -- either in launching a venture whether independently or within other organizations is a plus
- Systems thinker and the ability to focus on details while simultaneously looking at challenges and opportunities from a systems perspective
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of stakeholders and build long-term relationships
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of Gary Community Ventures
- High level of integrity and dependability with a results-oriented approach and an enterprising spirit
- An ability to attract, develop, motivate, empower, and lead a high performing, team-oriented diverse staff, including across lines of difference to build inclusive team environments
- Mindset: Positive attitude, creative problem solver, strategic / innovative / data-driven and practical
- Strong interest and alignment with Gary's mission and values
LOCATION: Denver, CO. Gary Community Ventures believes they can listen better, learn more, and act faster when they are able to build strong relationships in the same physical space. With this in mind, Gary Community Ventures does their work together in person and value in person interactions. The office is not remote; they are open to occasional hybrid working situations, but default to in-office and have weekly in-person meetings.
Compensation and benefits:
The VP, Philanthropy role is a full-time position. The salary for this position will be within the $180,000 to $210,000 range and will vary based upon prior work experience and the assessment of one's fit for the role. The compensation package will also include a target year-end discretionary bonus.
Gary Community Ventures offers a comprehensive benefits package including 100% paid medical, dental, and vision plan, 401(k) plan with matching, unlimited PTO with a minimum of 3 restoration weeks, and a downtown Denver, CO office location right at Union Station.
Gary Ventures Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, or current employment status.
Gary Ventures Inc. is committed to inclusion and diversity through our mission and values. Everyone is welcome and supported in their development at all stages in their journey with us. We believe that each employee will be able to learn, grow, and have an impact at Gary.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We're partnering with the team at Gary Community Ventures Inc. to build a diverse team. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.