NY - New York metropolitan area
About the Organization
Climate Central uses science, big data, and technology to generate thousands of local storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change personal and show what can be done about it. The organization addresses climate science, sea level rise, extreme weather, energy, and related topics, and collaborates widely with TV meteorologists, journalists, and other respected voices to reach audiences across diverse geographies and beliefs. Founded in 2008, Climate Central works in almost every US media market, and its research and imagery have appeared in well over 100 nations and been cited by US and world leaders. Members of the Climate Central staff and board are among the most respected leaders in climate science and communications.
You can learn more here: https://www.climatecentral.org/
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) is a hands-on leader who will play a key role in ensuring the organization's financial stability, growth, and its successful administration. This role will oversee finance, accounting, HR, legal and other administrative aspects of the organization, participating in policy setting, implementation of practices, and communication with staff and Board, and enabling ongoing delivery of services.
More specifically, the CFAO is responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, forecasting, budgeting, tax compliance, investments, risk/insurance and audit functions for the organization. Additionally, this role oversees human resources functions (though many HR, payroll and benefits administration functions are outsourced to a partner vendor), plus facilities management, office administration, procurement, contracts management and vendor relations including counsel. As Climate Central advances its programming to further meet demands, this role will partner with leaders across the organization to streamline and present updated financial information to support programming.
This highly impactful role is best suited for a candidate with robust financial skills and knowledge, both generally and with respect to the nonprofit sector; and who has strong presentation and written communication skills for presentation of reports, budgets and outcomes to key stakeholders, such as the Board Finance Committee and Senior Leadership.
Additionally, a successful candidate will be skilled at partnering with non-finance staff to facilitate project and mission objectives. Integrity, credibility, professionalism and a commitment to the mission of Climate Central will be essential. Most financial operations are currently outsourced to a private firm. The CFAO will oversee this relationship and have support to build and manage a finance department within Climate Central. The CFAO will also oversee administrative staff including the Director of Administration and Legal Advisor, and will interface with other staff, management, Board members, committees of the Board, auditors, vendors, donors and regulatory agencies.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Financial and Accounting Management (estimated 50%) Oversight and management and, as needed, participation, creation, and improvement, of all systems and procedures for the proper accounting, reporting, forecasting, and other financial activities of Climate Central including:
- The annual budget process and periodic reporting on results versus budget
- Preparation and communication of recurring financial reporting and financial statements
- Preparation of annual audited financial statements, 990 tax returns, and other filings
- Preparation of donor requested budgets and grants-related financial reports
- Supporting earned revenue activities with potential for major growth
- Periodic forecasting and other analyses of financial condition and scenarios
- Development of systems and processes to improve insights and efficiencies
- The posting of accounting entries
- Control of the general ledger and sub-ledgers
- Managing cash flow and investments and coordinating the relationships with banks
- Managing risk and insurance for the organization
- Oversight of compliance of financial system and records to federal and state regulations, generally accepted accounting principles, Board policies, industry standards and other required standards
- Oversight of compliance matters relating to federal, state and local laws and national best practice standards, including requirements applying to Section 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charities; and
- Communicating with and supporting the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Trustees.
Anticipated new deliverables will include development of improved reporting and forecasting for management; assessment of the existing accounting system (Quickbooks Online); selection of and upgrade to a new accounting software system if and as needed; transition to fully digital records; streamlining of bill payment system; updating of process documentation; implementation of a robust cash management and investment process; and building the finance team and/or consultant base as needed to accomplish these objectives.
Human Resources (estimated 20%) Oversight and management of all aspects of Human Resources to include:
- Management of and coordination with Climate Central's HR service provider, 401k custodian and servicer, and other related service providers
- Serve as the plan sponsor for all company benefit and retirement plans
- Serve as the fiduciary for the company's retirement plan, working with the retirement plan servicer to maintain the plan in compliance with regulations
- Serve as the primary contact for local, state and federal regulatory agencies
- Lead annual staff review process
- Serve as the lead contact for internal HR issues
Anticipated new deliverables will include transition from timesheets to an efficient effort-reporting system for labor tracking and labor cost accounting; evaluation of current HR service provider; selection of and upgrade to a new HR system if and as needed; assessment and improvement of staff review process; development and implementation of a process to advance equity in compensation; updating of process documentation; and building the HR team and/or consultant base as needed to accomplish these objectives.
Grants and Program Support Functions (estimated 15%) Donor reporting and proposal budget preparation, including working with the development team and program directors on new/renewing grant proposals and reporting out on existing grants. This includes supporting the tracking of hours worked/associated with grant projects. This area of responsibility further includes support of Climate Central's growing earned revenue activities, with respect to financial management, accounting, and license and contract design.
Office and Facilities Administration (estimated 10%) Administrative functions including premises and facilities management, insurance administration, including risk assessments, and related updates, procurement, contracts administration and vendor relations.
Legal Management (estimated 5%) Management of legal functions, including oversight of selection of outside legal counsel and supporting the ongoing relationship with outside attorneys.
- A Bachelor's and/or advanced degree or certification in accounting, finance or business, or the equivalent
- 10+ years of experience with increasing responsibility as a finance and administration leader for a nonprofit organization.
- Experience with oversight and responsibility for the finance and accounting functions of a non-profit with a budget of at least $10M+
- A proven track record in the areas of financial/accounting management and administrative oversight and a robust understanding of general administration and HR related to nonprofit organizations.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, including the ability to present to a distinguished Board and to work with other staff leadership on budgeting, accounting, tracking, and the financial aspects of fundraising and grant reporting; high proficiency with spreadsheets for effective collaboration with senior staff
- Demonstrated success building financial teams through hiring and management
- Prior experience building, selecting, and/or improving organizational financial systems and processes
- Prior experience in HR management, including effective supervision, mentorship, and management
- Prior experience managing legal needs and staff or contractors
- Tech savvy and experience selecting and implementing accounting & HR software & tools
- Experience managing relationships with vendors
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative outlook, ready to build new systems, lead and manage change, and roll up the sleeves for whatever work may be needed
- Experience managing facilities is desirable
- Deep integrity, financial stewardship, and commitment to Climate Central's mission.
Location: Princeton, NJ (1-2 days/week)
Compensation and benefits:
This role offers a competitive starting base salary, in addition to an exceptional full benefits package. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage and employer paid life insurance, long-term disability, short-term disability and AD&D. In terms of retirement, Climate Central matches employee contributions up to 6% of eligible salary as a Safe Harbor Match and additionally makes a contribution of 6% of eligible salary in the form of a Non-Elective Match (employee and employer contributions are vested immediately). 12 paid holidays, generous PTO at 24 days a year and other perks firm up this package.
Climate Central embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.