About the Organization
Founded in 1938, United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that empower and improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide network, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance. Today, our organization is still creating solutions for our City's toughest challenges, but in a more innovative, efficient, and effective way. Over the past eighty plus years, we've grown from being more than just a fundraising entity, to becoming a leader in collaboration, capacity building, and systems change. While funding is critical to fuel our mission, we measure success not in the dollars we raise, but in the lives we impact.
About the Position
Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the SVP & Chief Development Officer (CDO) will establish and lead an effective fundraising and marketing strategy towards strengthening brand visibility, expanding funding, and strengthening marketing efforts. The CDO is a sounding board and strategic partner for the CEO and the Board of Directors. They are responsible for building a culture of philanthropy while creating, implementing, and monitoring a fundraising and marketing plan that involves corporate, foundation, individual and major donors, brand experiences, and digital presence. The position leads the fundraising and marketing teams to increase brand awareness, visibility, and fundraising results. They collaborate closely with the Executive Leadership Team and Community Impact department as well as operational functions across the organization.
In leading the development and marketing teams charged with raising approximately $13 million annually, the CDO will set out a vision for the organization's fundraising and will work collaboratively to carry this vision through to execution—by setting clear fundraising goals and marshaling resources to achieve them, by skillfully representing the organization with current and prospective donors, and by ensuring that staff have the support they need to thrive while developing as professionals. Additionally, in leading the experiential marketing function, the CDO will oversee the brand experience, narrative, communications, and production that generate critical stakeholders and resources.
This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced leader with broad development and marketing experience, a deep understanding of the fundraising landscape in NYC, and experience making actionable recommendations to senior leadership.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Hire, train, develop, and mentor development and marketing staff; lead a high capacity and effective team
- Serve as an inspirational leader for staff; promote a culture of strong integrity, high performance, meaningful collaboration, and continuous improvement that values commitment to equity, learning, and quality
- Provide fundraising and marketing guidance and leadership for larger, cross-departmental teams
- Build a culture where the development, marketing, and programs functions collaborate and drive decisions informed by reliable market-tested data
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with the President & Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors, implement a quantifiable and measurable fundraising strategy to achieve UWNYC's financial and brand goals, including increasing & diversifying funding, expanding digital fundraising efforts, and developing a vision for corporate engagement & individual giving
- Set yearly fundraising metrics; develop an execution plan that incorporates key marketing strategies to ensure that the goals and metrics are achieved
- Adjust fundraising plan as needed to respond to opportunities and changing funding and programmatic landscapes; ensure fundraising activities are mission-aligned and fill programmatic gaps
- Work with the Executive Leadership Team to develop and implement public relations strategies (to include both traditional and social media) and guide UWNYC leadership in cultivating and enhancing relationships with the media, donor organizations, key stakeholders, and the general public
- Support the creation and implementation of an annual internal communications plan to ensure staff are knowledgeable and engaged ambassadors for the organization and that communications are on message
- Collaborate closely with the Community Impact department to understand programmatic funding needs and collectively fundraise toward those needs
- Work closely with United Way Worldwide network to identify and secure national partnerships, grants and support
- Set a culture of engaging donors and funders as thought partners and collective problem solvers to build a New York City for all
- Partner with President & Chief Executive Officer and Executive Leadership Team to solicit and secure major gifts from individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- Increase giving through digital platforms and the use of social media and technology in fundraising
- Oversee the management of the donor database and provide guidance on technology needs and best practices to build an effective fundraising department
- Acting as the primary Executive Leadership Team liaison for Board engagement, establish and manage strong relationships with the Board of Directors in order to leverage their ability to fundraise for the organization
- Increase brand visibility and experiences; ensure brand experiences are well organized, mission-driven, and successful
Strategy & Planning:
- Create and execute innovative marketing and public relations strategies, including both traditional and social media, branding and graphics, to guide UWNYC leadership in cultivating and enhancing relationships with the media, donor organizations, key stakeholders, and the general public
- Effectively manage the operations of the marketing function, including budgeting and other internal administrative processes
- Direct market research activities to monitor emerging trends that influence marketing plans
- Demonstrated passion for UWNYC's mission and core values; strong commitment to racial equity
- Bachelor's degree required
- 10+ years of experience overseeing fundraising and marketing (non-profit and/or non-profit board experience preferred)
- A hands-on, mature, collaborative leader who has integrity, a service orientation, strong communication skills, exceptional attention to detail & project management skills, and thrives in a dynamic & entrepreneurial environment
- Experience serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO and ELT of a multi-divisional organization; strong analytical skills and experience operationalizing a strategic vision
- Experience developing, implementing, and analyzing both traditional and social media metrics
- Experience in planning, writing, editing, and producing press releases, annual reports, and marketing literature
- Documented record of success in strategic initiatives and fundraising outcomes; entrepreneurial foresight and innovative spirit to recognize future trends and new opportunities
- Ability and political savvy to build and sustain relationships with many constituencies, including corporations, major donors, innovative and non-traditional funding sources, and across internal departments
- Exceptional people management skills; experience in building, retaining, and motivating strong teams to meet goals
- Experience with CRM systems
Compensation and benefits:
Our office is based in Midtown Manhattan in NYC, highly accessible to public transportation, with the option to leverage remote work days two days per week (Mondays and Fridays).
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $200-250K annually, with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include health and dental insurance, 401K contribution, paid holidays, vacation, sick, and personal time.
United Way NYC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, creed, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, or current employment status.
Like UWNYC, On-Ramps is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We're partnering with the team UWNYC to build a diverse team that reflects their mission. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.