About the Organization
New Profit is a venture philanthropy organization that backs social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit exists to build a bridge between these leaders and a community of philanthropists who are committed to catalyzing their impact. New Profit provides unrestricted grants and strategic support to a portfolio of organizations led by visionary social entrepreneurs to increase their impact, scale, and sustainability. It also partners with social entrepreneurs and other cross-sector leaders to shift how government and philanthropy pursue social change to ensure that all people can thrive. Since its founding in 1998, New Profit has invested $325+ million in more than 165 early-and later-stage social enterprises. In 2024, New Profit will operate with a team of 85 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $42M that will support over 120 social enterprises across the nation. Learn more about New Profit here.
About the Position
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Partner, People Operations, will effectively manage the People Operations function to ensure New Profit's employee life cycle (including, but not limited to recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, professional development, compensation and offboarding) centers our core values and attracts, develops and retains talented and diverse team members.
The Partner, People Operations will oversee a broad spectrum of activities in the talent function and will also work closely on refining and enhancing New Profit's professional development, performance management, and compensation systems in their early days. The Partner, People Operations will also work closely with the Chief Equity and Proximity Officer to ensure New Profit's EDIP (Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Proximity) commitments are infused throughout its people and talent practices. By collaborating across functions and teams, the Partner, People Operations will help build and maintain an organizational culture that lives out New Profit's core values and promotes growth, productivity, and innovation.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess highly developed interpersonal, relationship-building, and influencing skills. The candidate will bring superior organizational and prioritization abilities, strong and demonstrated judgment and tact, the ability to juggle multiple initiatives and priorities while driving toward deadlines, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
People Strategy & Leadership
- Collaborate with the Chief Administrative Officer to develop and execute a holistic people strategy aligned with New Profit's values and business objectives, inclusive of equitable compensation / rewards, talent acquisition, and employee growth / development
- Direct the ongoing design and development of equitable compensation and total rewards programs that attract, retain, and motivate top talent while advancing our commitment to equity
- Oversee talent acquisition efforts, ensuring we have inclusive and diverse candidate pipelines and a smooth process, including relationships with search firms
- Oversee our learning and development efforts, including performance management and professional development activities
People Operations Team Management
- Manage and mentor a team of 2-3 direct reports across different people operations verticals, providing guidance, support, and feedback to drive exceptional performance and continuous growth and learning of the team.
- Lead the day to day activities of the People Operations team, including weekly team meetings, individual check-ins and impactful monthly staff meetings
- Ensure alignment between People Operations and the organization's annual goals and objectives
- Act as a trusted partner to the team, leadership, and staff in the areas of HR and Talent
- Serve as a leadership coach and mentor to people managers across New Profit regarding people management and staff development
- Serve as a thought partner to the CAO for team-wide planning, problem-solving, and structure
Equitable Compensation Strategy and Implementation
- Lead and support continued evolution of compensation and benefits strategy to align with talent attraction, retention and employee engagement
- Lead administration of annual compensation adjustment and bi-annual performance rewards and ensure employees understand the value of their total compensation package
- Serve as a resource on compensation challenges and solutions during growth management performance review cycles
HR, Legal, Employee Support
- Identify and diagnose talent and organizational issues, and partner with People Operations Business Partner(s) and functional leads to implement solutions
- Conduct after-action meetings following major People Operations initiatives, like hiring and new policy implementation, to ensure lessons learned are documented and feedback is shared and implemented
- Manage and appropriately elevate employee complaints
- Stay abreast of HR best practices, compliance initiatives, and employment laws to mitigate risks across the organization
- Collaborate with Managing Partner, Equity & Proximity, on an as needed basis to ensure alignment with EDIP priorities and goals
- 10+ years of professional experience in multiple areas of talent and human resources, preferably in entrepreneurial nonprofit organization(s), with increasing levels of responsibility
- Strong people manager with experience growing and coaching teams
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead self and others to seize opportunities, solve problems, identify patterns, and enable decisions and action with clear rationale and values alignment
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously support multiple projects and effectively prioritize own time/ team's time and tasks
- Natural relationship-builder
- Deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- High level of maturity, empathy, and grace under pressure
- Superior organizational skills, commitment to high-quality work product, and attention to detail
- Strong command of Google and Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities
- Strong learning orientation; the ability to learn and grow from mistakes and the desire to constantly improve and adapt
- Commitment to New Profit's mission and values
Compensation and benefits:
Location: Flexible USA, with a preference for Boston.
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position will be $160,000-$194,000 annually, with the exact salary depending on prior work experience and the assessment of one's fit for the role. Additionally, New Profit provides a suite of competitive benefits including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, and a generous PTO policy with an end-of-year holiday break.
New Profit is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, or current employment status.
On-Ramps is deeply committed to equity. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.